Looking for some input and ideas for daughters first rifle.

I have a new hunter with me this year. I'm using a 243( bolt face gives more options for the future). I shot the Hornady light recoil ammo and the recoil was on par with a 223. That was from a tikka with no brake. Really impressed.

Thinking of building my baby girl a bolt gun to hunt and learn with. I'm after low recoil more than a distance requirement. Mostly for Texas/Nm deer, antelope, coyotes, and some pigs. It'll be a switch barrel on an existing Rem 700 short action I have. First barrel will be .223 Wilde.

Second barrel- I'm debating between 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 Spc. Any input is appreciated.

I built my daughter a 300 blackout and she loves it. No recoil(ar15 platform) and drops whitetail at 250 yards. So far so much better than a .223/5.56 for deer knockdown power. The problem we had with the .223 was no exit hole and no blood to trail. She blew the heart to pieces in 1 deer and liquified the lungs on another but they still ran 75-100 yards. With the blackout 10 yards and down.

Why not a 6.5x47L, 6.5CM, .260 Rem, etc.? Start with some lower charge weight 100-120gr loads, work up to 130-140s and full power when she gets older.

Or a 6x47L, 6CM, 6XC, etc.? 105s @ 2600 to start, bump them up to 3000+ later on.

My daughter, who is now 17, has been shooting her 6.5SLR since she was 11. And my AR & .260 Rem with reduced loads since she was 8. Even shot her first bull elk @ 11 with my .300RUM w. Brake. She has taken 2 elk (1 bull, 1 cow), 2 mule deer bucks, a buck antelope, a javalina, and numerous varmints. Hope to put another big mule deer buck on the ground in 2 weeks. She is a stone cold killer. And a very good long range shooter with her 6.5SLR. She just smacked a squirrel at 741 yards on a cold bore shot on Saturday while tuning up for her deer hunt. Got it on video too.

i have twin 18 year old girls. I built 2 270 WSMs for them. I suppressed both rifles because their ears are not damaged like mine. Both rifles are soft shooters yet effective at medium to longer range (800 yards) on elk. Both girls have used my 300 RUM as well. One of my girls shot her first buck with my 300 RUM (I failed to get her rifle sighted in in time).
Unfortunately, they are both at school and I wasn't able to take them hunting this year.

Females are very good shots if encouraged. My daughters are more disciplined than my son (although my son is a good shot as well and he still hunts).

Attachments

• B731B2A5-67C3-4C29-B3B8-31883D229F58.jpeg
    B731B2A5-67C3-4C29-B3B8-31883D229F58.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • 290F0D44-D4DA-4AA9-AD36-D32B838674D7.jpeg
    290F0D44-D4DA-4AA9-AD36-D32B838674D7.jpeg
    999.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 2D4FB659-81EC-4861-BBE9-56CF707F35B3.jpeg
    2D4FB659-81EC-4861-BBE9-56CF707F35B3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
After the 223 I would go to 243. Accurate with pleasant recoil. Lots of rifles and lots of inexpensive ammo. Easy to reload for as it is very forgiving. You can legally hunt elk in Oregon with a 6mm. It is rifle caliber you like to practice with, much like the 223.

Thinking of building my baby girl a bolt gun to hunt and learn with. I'm after low recoil more than a distance requirement. Mostly for Texas/Nm deer, antelope, coyotes, and some pigs. It'll be a switch barrel on an existing Rem 700 short action I have. First barrel will be .223 Wilde.

Second barrel- I'm debating between 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 Spc. Any input is appreciated.
My girs were both started with 260 rem. Better performance then 6.5 creed if you handload. Not new, not fancy but it sure performs without hurting shooter.

My girl( live in grandbaby) shoots a 223 Wylde right now... I also have a Remington model 7 youth in 260 Remington stashed for when she gets a bit bigger...I think a Grendel build would be perfect... Good ballistics and doesn't recoil much... Plus...accuracy is there

I would give it some time to be sure she's still interested at ~8-YO before spending all that money; who knows what components or cartridges would be available in 5-7 years. But, if you want a rifle project now that "you" could potentially pass on to her, then that's different.

I still think any one of the 6-223 wildcats is the best option for now. I would use 55gr Ballistic tips for Deer and the lightest solid copper hp you can find for hogs. Get them close. You can increase bullet wt a little every year. Enjoy every minute with your daughter. They grow up so fast. Start them out young, show them success and they will hunt with Daddy whenever they can, even after they have kids of their own.

I have a 223AI, 6-223AI, and a 25/223 on bolt actions they are great little rounds and perfect for low recoil killing rifles.

My 6/223AI has a 22" barrel and pushes a 75gr north of 3000 fps pretty easy. I haven't gotten that serious with it yet mostly just use it for blasting pdogs. I have been thinking about chopping it down to 18" and threading it for the can.

The 25/223 has a 23.5" barrel and spits a 110gr accubond at 2700fps and has killed several antelope.

DEF13761-ADEF-493E-BB22-415DF26A23EC.jpeg
The answer I arrived at for my son was a Tikka T3x Lite Compact in 6.5 Creed.

It comes with a removable spacer that reduces the LOP, but not quite enough for a very small child. I had a chassis that allowed the LOP to be reduced enough for anyone, but now he has gotten big enough to go with the factory compact stock (for lighter weight, now that he totes it himself).

Full house factory loads in it are attention-getting and probably flinch-inducing for a kid less than, say, 75 pounds.

But, with a jug of H4895, a whole new world opens up. With reduced loads + soft bullets, in our case 147 ELDM, you get good terminal performance at close ranges, with little recoil. His rifle shoots the 147's plenty accurate enough anywhere between 2000-2700 FPS. The lower end of that range has fairly low recoil, even in the little compact Tikka. If it wasn't low enough, you could always load some subs with Trail Boss powder, or do H4895 with a lighter bullet. It would be absolutely no problem to duplicate 6.5 Grendel loads, but you still retain the ability to step up to full power.

I'd recommend, as an alternative to your bolt action idea, a T/C Contender or Encore. This switch barrel single shot has the ability to be a rimfire, shotgun, centerfire rifle, muzzleloader, or a pistol. Different stocks can adjust for growth. They are light and accurate. If shot my Contender 7 TCU in competitions. Very accurate.

I would give it some time to be sure she's still interested at ~8-YO before spending all that money; who knows what components or cartridges would be available in 5-7 years. But, if you want a rifle project now that "you" could potentially pass on to her, then that's different.
We start them so young in the South they never have an opportunity to know any different. Girls, Boys, doesn't matter. They are old enough to wipe their own butt, they are big enough to go shooting and hunting with Daddy. They get to shoot when they are shooting well enough to hit what they are aiming at with no help. Age is irrelevant. They get to go hunting as an observer as young as they are willing to go. Just for a few minutes at a time. This is best done at midday between real hunts.

Any of the calibers are good choices but it all comes down to recoil and what she is going to be comfortable with. I have a .300 Blackout and love it but my friend swears by the 6.5 Grendel. I usually borrow a rifle in the caliber I am interested in and take it for a spin to see if I like it or not.

257 Roberts

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.