Looking for some input and ideas for daughters first rifle.

I have thought about this often. 6.5 or 25 caliber cartridges with lightweight copper bullets for speed and penetration. Another option would be the AccubondLR due to it low expansion threshold it could be started slower.
My choices:
6.5 Grendel- factory ammo or reloaded as above
25-204 Ruger- using Barnes or hammer bullets
6.5 creedmoor downloaded with hammer or ABLR's

the Grendel May be the best all around choice. Factor in weight and length due to adding a suppressor, and make it fun!

I think that many of the 6mm cartridges that are known for extreme efficiency (ratio of powder capacity to velocity attained) is where you will find a winner. The fun thing about this, is that the user of the rifle won't 'outgrow' the caliber. One example would be the 6mm Dasher. You can easily get 2900 fps out of a 105 class bullet, with only 32-33 grains of powder. Having just built one of these rifles with a 25" barrel, and laminate stock (estimate 10lbs total with scope), I can tell you that with the suppressor on, both the muzzle blast and the recoil are minimal. Also, there is a recoil calculator in the front of one of the forum sections. You know what the rifle is going to weigh, input the starting charge for different calibers with the book velocities for certain bullets and you will have your answers based on real math data. That would be my suggestion.

The only really important thing is start them young. Make it fun. Plenty of food and hot chocolate. A feeder so there is always something going on. Leave when they get tired, doesn't matter if 30min or two hours. They will hunt longer in time. Another trick I did is I never wore a coat or insulated underwear. We kept a heater in the stand and bundled them up. Dressing like that, we would get cold about the same time. They get cold so much easier than you do.

The only really important thing is start them young. Make it fun. Plenty of food and hot chocolate. A feeder so there is always something going on. Leave when they get tired, doesn't matter if 30min or two hours. They will hunt longer in time. Another trick I did is I never wore a coat or insulated underwear. We kept a heater in the stand and bundled them up. Dressing like that, we would get cold about the same time. They get cold so much easier than you do.

Great advice

If you're really considering a switch barrel. Remember you will have to change out the bolt. I'd start with a 243. It has a standard bolt face and that gives you a lot of options. 260 Remington 7-08. etc.

Thinking of building my baby girl a bolt gun to hunt and learn with. I'm after low recoil more than a distance requirement. Mostly for Texas/Nm deer, antelope, coyotes, and some pigs. It'll be a switch barrel on an existing Rem 700 short action I have. First barrel will be .223 Wilde.

Second barrel- I'm debating between 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 Spc. Any input is appreciated.

I love my 6.5 Grendel. Actually I have 3 of them. I have killed many whitetail deer with them, out to 275 yards. Never had to track one more than 30 yards. Low recoil, cheap to reload, very accurate! I use the Nosler ballistic tip 120 grain for hunting. I have used my long range Grendel on targets out to 1200 yards

Creedmoor with a good muzzle brake, the recoil is so minimal I can get back on the target at 300 yards.

143gr ELD rounds will drop just about anything.

Here is the Goal. My youngest's 5th birthday. One happy camper. And 9th BD. Birthadys are special. Sorry about the bad picts. Afternoon hunts.
Kaitlin first deer.tif.jpg
DSC_1876.JPG

Thinking of building my baby girl a bolt gun to hunt and learn with. I'm after low recoil more than a distance requirement. Mostly for Texas/Nm deer, antelope, coyotes, and some pigs. It'll be a switch barrel on an existing Rem 700 short action I have. First barrel will be .223 Wilde.

Second barrel- I'm debating between 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 Spc. Any input is appreciated.
you don't need to build her a gun just find her a Savage model 99 - 243. great gun easy to shoot and almost ZERO recoil

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.