Looking for some direction on some .338 RUM loads.

orangeride

So like many of you I've recently found a lot more extra time on my hands. I've got a couple load work up projects that have been on the back burner for a few years. I'm lookin for some data for nosler accubond 250gr for Retumbo and h-1000, I've also got a bunch of 250gr Berger elite hunters that I'd like to try with the same powders. Thanks guys.

I am actually working on my 338 RUM currently as well. I am switching from the 250 AB to the 250 LRX. my load for the 250 AB is 96.5 gr of H-1000 pushing it 3065 fps aound half moa. I am switching to the LRX simply because I really like Barnes bullets. I shoot a lot of elk, the 250 AB has always done very well... the LRX is just more appealing. good luck! and if you need more accubonds check the classifieds, I just listed some

I didn't have any luck with Retumbo and the 250 Bergers in my 338 RUM. RL33 was very good and vv N570 was even better. Feel free to PM me and I can share my Quickload data with you.

I use H 1000 with the 250 grain AB or the ballistic tip depending on the distance. I would recommend starting at 93 grains and working up. 98.0 will be compressed and in most rifles reach a chamber pressure of 92,000 psi, so it should be safe to reach the max load in your rifle.
Retumbo gave me a little more velocity but the max pressure was 65,000 PSI and accuracy was not as good.

Retumbo can go critical at higher temps and pressures and may jump several thousand psi with only a tenth or two on increase in the powder charge.

I really like the N 570 for my 338 Texan but it will hold 112 to 119 grains of the stuff and I have never tried it in the 338 RUM but with the volume of the 338 rum, H 1000 is a better choice in my opinion.

Start low and work up to the most accurate load and you will be surprised at what the 338 RUM will do.

J E CUSTOM

I just got my 338RUM build back. Specs: bartlein 3B @26 inches, ADG brass and 250gr Accubonds. Loaded with 95gr of H1000. I'm getting around 3020 at the barrel.
Question: for barrel break in should I back this off a few grains?? I don't like to over due my velocity breaking in a barrel. This I thought would be a mild load and I am getting absolutely zero pressure signs. It also shoots good. I figured I would tweak and break In with the 250s then Load up the 300 accubonds(all I could find). And leave it setup for hunting. Any recommendations? Also the recoil is quite mild but the concussion is giving me a serious head ache!? This is with a SWAG brake.

My 338-416 Rigby Improved has a Beast brake on it. I have to use ear plugs and ear muffs otherwise I get a headache and ringing ears.
When hunting though, I take the brake off unless I'm shooting from prone, too much recoil to shoot it without the brake on it.
Has a 32" barrel 1:9.5" twist.
I have only ever broken in barrels while doing a middle load and finding seating depth and primer preference.
I do this first, powder choice is done after seating depth. I choose 3 powders that are the top performers velocity wise. It seems to work for me, we don't have the choice you Yanks have in regard to powder selection, but Hodgdon powders are made here and very plentiful usually.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.