Looking for some advice?

PredatorSlayer

Hey y'all,

I have a Milspec 5r Gen 2 in 260 with a triggertech that bought new last year that has maybe 80 rounds through it, and a Sendero SFII in 25-06 that has maybe 150 rounds through it and isn't even wearing a scope right now...its been sitting in the back of the safe for the last few years. I am thinking about selling both and buying a 6.5 prc in a seekins havak or christensen ridgeline, or browning LR mcmillan, or maybe a 6.5x284norma. The 260 and 25-06 are both tack drivers. I am thinking I would shoot the PRC more and its kind of middle ground between the two of them. What would you guys do?

These are the only 6.5 and .257 calibers I own. I do have several smaller and larger than both of these, so I would like to fill the same GAP. Also, the gun will be used more for hunting than anything else.

Last edited:
In my opinion if you aren't using a rifle - get rid of it. I have faced this same problem multiple times... and it will only keep happening as needs and wants change. Buy the caliber or rifle you feel you'll shoot the most and with the money saved on not having to scope up two rifles... buy one BA scope.

Well, I don't know too much about the 6.5 PRC but it looks like it has a bit more horsepower than the .260, so I think it would be a good choice as long as it continues to be well supported. I have gone through this "Two guns for one" drill many times myself. Usually, I end up happy but don't let go of something you might kick yourself for saying goodbye to later. Personally, I have a soft spot for the .25-06, so I'd hang on to that and maybe let the .260 go, as your getting another 6.5 anyway with the Ridgeline.

I already have a 300 rum that fills that gap.
Good to know. If you're looking to fill that Gap why not just keep what you have? The 6.5 PRC is a great little round but you're pushing into 300 Win category. Even though it's a smaller bullet but you getting your velocity up. What are you trying to do with it? Just fill a void? Missing anything. Keep what you have and shoot away.

I wouldn't go out and buy new scopes for them. I just take off my scope and make sure use a torque wrench and move the scope around between rifles there's no losses zero. And I'm sure a bunch of Internet ninjas will disagree but I've been doing this for years and it's been tested. Just ensure you're using a good torque wrench

Next cartridge down is a 6mm creedmoor, next one up is a 270wsm. So i thought a 6.5 prc might be fun to have. I do worry about it being around long term, although with hornady's marketing team I have a hard time believing it will go anywhere.

I regretted selling my 5R in 6.5CM. That rifle was the nicest factory rifle I've seen. I can't imagine any of the ones you've listed being that much nicer than a sendero or 5R. I would pick one to rebarrel and then keep them.

Well, I don't know too much about the 6.5 PRC but it looks like it has a bit more horsepower than the .260, so I think it would be a good choice as long as it continues to be well supported.

To continue to be well supported it would have to be well supported at present. Which is a stretch at best. Nothing wrong with a 140 @3000, but it's easy to get fed up with proprietary cartridges with marginal support.

I regretted selling my 5R in 6.5CM. That rifle was the nicest factory rifle I've seen. I can't imagine any of the ones you've listed being that much nicer than a sendero or 5R. I would pick one to rebarrel and then keep them.
They probably aren't. The 25-06 isn't getting any love - nothing against it, i just end up grabbing my 6mm creedmoor shooting the 108gr ELDMs instead. The 260 is a tough one, I like that gun, always wished it had a little more oomph - When I bought it I was looking for a 6.5x284 norma.

To continue to be well supported it would have to be well supported at present. Which is a stretch at best. Nothing wrong with a 140 @3000, but it's easy to get fed up with proprietary cartridges with marginal support.
You have a PRC don't you?

Yes. I would advise anyone buying one to buy 200 pieces of gunwerks brass as soon as they place their rifle order. 6.5mm projectiles are easy to come buy so not such a big deal, ADG goes out of stock hours/days after a brass release and factory ammo is both hard to come by(2 offerings both from Hornady) and you live and die lot to lot,

Agreed. Shoulda tried searching for brass before getting my thumbs going on that one! Yikes!

Yes. I would advise anyone buying one to buy 200 pieces of gunwerks brass as soon as they place their rifle order. 6.5mm projectiles are easy to come buy so not such a big deal, ADG goes out of stock hours/days after a brass release and factory ammo is both hard to come by(2 offerings both from Hornady) and you live and die lot to lot,
You think there is more support for the 6.5x284 norma? I have wanted one of those forever, its what I wished both my 25-06 and 260 was. Since the PRC came in the hornady ammo, I thought it might be a better deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.