Looking for some 6.5 Creedmoor rifle advice

stevelow

I'm looking at picking up a 6.5 Creedmoor gun to do some long range target shooting. Just for fun and to tinker with reloading for now. Currently, I'm looking at the Savage 12 LRP and Browning X-Bolt Eclipse Target, although I'm open to any suggestions. I've read many reviews of the Savage and they have a lot of good things to say about it. On the other hand, I can find next to nothing said about the Browning. I like the looks of the Browning better. Their recoil pad looks interesting but is it necessary for this round? I am used to Savage's Accu-Trigger and this model has their target version but how does it compare to Browning's Feather Trigger? And of course, how does the accuracy compare with these models?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these guns?

Thanks,

If you really want to invest in Long Range shooting, look at a Savage 10 or Rem 700 action. They're pretty standard and aftermarket parts (i.e. stocks, triggers, bases) are available everywhere.

I have both the Savage 10 .308 and a Rem 700 with custom .338 barrels headspaced for it. The Savage easily gets sub MOA out to 1000 yards and up to 1 MOA at 1200.

PM me regarding gunsmiths. I know a couple of good ones. Others may post some good smiths too.

IMHO if you want to shoot LR without breaking the bank, I'd stick with the .308 and run heavy 208gr AMAX's through it with some RL17. That's what I am doing with mine out to 1200 yards so far. If you're settled on 6.5CM that's fine too; either will get the job done.

I've been having fun plinking out to 900 yards with my Vanguard S2. Still grouping below a minute. I bought a case of Hornady Match online for a little over $200 (for the brass too). Not bad for a $500 rifle straight out of the box. The only problem is that they are rarer than hen's teeth right now.

I'm thinking of sneaking over to my neighbor's place one night and cutting down some trees so I can get a clean shot at a 1,000. :rolleyes:

I've been having fun plinking out to 900 yards with my Vanguard S2. Still grouping below a minute. I bought a case of Hornady Match online for a little over $200 (for the brass too). Not bad for a $500 rifle straight out of the box. The only problem is that they are rarer than hen's teeth right now.

I'm thinking of sneaking over to my neighbor's place one night and cutting down some trees so I can get a clean shot at a 1,000. :rolleyes:

I also have an S2 in a creedmoor and it is truly one of the most accurate out of the box sporter weight rifles I have ever owned. I handload 123gr Amax's with H4350 and the other day I was able to shoot a 3" group at 500 yards. It consistantly holds groups in the .3-.4's at 100 yards and 1" groups at 200.

I also have an S2 in a creedmoor and it is truly one of the most accurate out of the box sporter weight rifles I have ever owned. I handload 123gr Amax's with H4350 and the other day I was able to shoot a 3" group at 500 yards. It consistantly holds groups in the .3-.4's at 100 yards and 1" groups at 200.

Here is a 3 shot group at 500 (12 inch gong) with mine. 120 Grain Hornady AMAX factory ammo. Right at 3 inches as well. I don't have a pic but I shot a 5 shot 6 inch group at 900. Same ammo and with a 12X SWFA scope. I have roughly $800 in the gun. Amazing piece of machinery for the money.

Attachments

• 6.5 Creed 120 AMAX at 500.jpg
    6.5 Creed 120 AMAX at 500.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 147
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts