Looking for small rust spot fixes?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Riverking01, Jun 7, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Riverking01

Riverking01 Member

My father was an avid hunter, reloader and target shooter. He suffered from health issues till he passed away 3yrs ago. He had quite a gun collection that I slowly been bringing home from my mothers. There are everything from Sendero’s, Custom Shop .458 Safari’s to custom built 378 Weatherby mags. Some of the stragglers that I recently come across have some small rust pitting with the largest being about the size of a pencil eraser. I read an article somewhere that there was a product that would take the rust off and leave the bluing alone. I can’t remember the name or where I saw it. If anyone knows what I’m talking about, a shout out would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

2. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

I can't help with the name of the product you are looking for but if I were removing the rust I would use a piece of 0000 steel wool and oil.

3. Riverking01

Riverking01 Member

I understand the rust would ruin the bluing under the rust. But will the steel wool ruin the bluing around the rust? I don’t want to have a large spot where I would have to re-blue the whole gun.

4. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

Try some Clove Oil first. Put it on and let it sit for a couple days. Then use the shaft of a q-tip and a tooth pick to loosen the rust.

5. Riverking01

Riverking01 Member

This is what I found. It’s called Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner. It looks like a steel wool but says it won’t ruin bluing. Has anyone tried it and if so how did it work for you?