Looking for scope suggestions

I was wondering if any of you could provide any suggestions as far as what scopes to look into buying.

My budget limit is $500 for the scope and the mounts.

This particluar rifle will probably not be used for hunting, so I do not need the absolutely most durable scope out there. Also, extreme light gathering abilities are not an issue. It will be used for target shooting on nice days and if the conditiions get bad, I'll pack up the rifle and stop shooting.

I'm looking for at least 18 power magnification or higher. I really, really want repeatability and ability to hold a zero. I will probably have very little patience for a scope that does not hold a zero and/or does not provide accurate adjustemnts. I want decent, functional optical clarity, except do not need that attribute in the extreme. Also, Mil-Dots are a major plus and in terms of non-Mil-Dot reticles, fine crosshairs are a plus.

Right now, I'm considering the Super-Sniper SS20X42 and the Bushnell Banner "Dusk to Dawn" 6-24X40. Both fit well under my budget limit. Do any of you have any experience with these brands?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[ 08-14-2004: Message edited by: Newbie_71 ]

I would also look at the Sightron 6x24x42 tactical. Has target turrets and mildots, cost $422 at MidwayUSA.com that will stretch your budget, but if you are not in a hurry they often go on sale for around $350. Sightron is probably the best scope I've seen for repeatability and holding zero. Also has a lifetime warranty every bit as good as Leupold.

As to the scopes you asked about, I've never used either one of them so can't comment on how good, or bad, they are.

huntin1

[ 08-14-2004: Message edited by: huntin1 ]

check out weaver grand slam or sightron both are great scopes! www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/449452 www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/123471

smile.gif

All scopes mentioned are worth a look. You might also want to include the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40 mil-dot and Leupold VX-II 6-18 with fine plex (w/o target turrets).

Try www.armsandammo.com for some pretty spectacular prices on the Bushy and others.
Good luck ... Mike

Don't forget to consider the Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44, Fine Crosshair. Comes with a sunshade and additional set of target knobs. Great scope! Very clear and bright.

For $500, my choice would either be the B&L 4200 6X24 or 4X16, or the Nikon monarch 4X16, 6.5X20. Awesome optics and great turrents.

I will be hunting this year with a 4200 Elite 6X24 w/mil dots.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.