Looking For Scope Recommendations

I have used a cheap Simmons 3x9x50 at 300-yards with a 22LR to lob them in to prairie doggies. But you have to have it on power 3, and use the lower point of the thicker post where it meets the finer vertical crosshair for bullseye. (With the elevation on the turret already all the way up!)
It is funny seeing it all happen: a second after the shot, you see the sub-sonic impact, then he keels over belly-up, then you hear the thump of the impact, then he pees a leak 2-ft. in the air. LOL

Last edited:
I have used a cheap Simmons 3x9x50 at 300-yards with a 22LR to lob them in to prairie doggies. But you have to have it on power 3, and use the lower point of the thicker post where it meets the finer vertical crosshair for bullseye. (With the elevation on the turret already all the way up!)
It is funny seeing it all happen: a second after the shot, you see the sub-sonic impact, then he keels over belly-up, then you hear the thump of the impact, then he pees a leak 2-ft. in the air. LOL
You ca't get any more humane than that.:D

I personally like fixed scopes on rimfires. Again, personal taste but I don't have issues with 10x or 12x unless I'm under 25 yards or 50 yards and moving. Swfa basic models are on sale right now apparently and they have great reticles for holding wind and distance like you'll want. Or you can dial them reliably, user's choice. And they have parallax adjustment. A 12x for 200 bucks right now makes me wish I didn't have one already.

If you really prefer adjustable I'd check out Burris. Clear and well optioned for the money. They have holdover reticles I love but they are set up for centerfire. You could probably make them work with familiarity though. They have a signature HD model that comes in right at 500 and I really, really like that one but it's SFP so going 15x to use the reticle inside 100 is possibly awkward.

They also have a 10x veracity FFP that's coming in right over 500 at the moment. YOu could probably do better on price looking around. I have a 3-15x veracity and I love it, and I got that for around 500 used on here.

I'd avoid Leupold for rimfire in that price range. They won't dial worth a squirt and the holdover reticles are bad, hard to use for me and my eyesight is much better than 20/20. They make great glass in the low brackets but you're on your own for drop and wind.

The real easy button is Vortex Diamondback tactical 4-16. That's a really good scope. Only vortex under a grand I like looking through.

If you have not already bought a .22 LR rifle I would strongly suggest a .22 WMR rifle for several reasons.
1.) better bullet construction (jacketed HP or jacketed polymer point)
2.) better range and flatter trajectory
3.) more energy on target for longer shots thus more species of game you can hunt

I'm done with .22 LR and really like the power and range of the .22 WMR cartridges for only a little more money.

Whatever - it must have adjustable parallax like down to 15 or less yards for a .22LR. Side by side or up & down movement upon eye position is unacceptable. In my modest collection the scopes that are able to focus with no parallax at 15 yards out are: Weaver 4-14X40 GS, Weaver T10 & T24 (aluminum tube), & Sightron 4-20X50 STac SF (clunky with rough edges but works good) & a Leupold 6-20X40 EFR AO. Leupold makes a AO 3-9X36? Freedom ntended for .22LR use. Lots of .22LR use at 15 yards, 45 feet. I shoot red color 1 inch hard candy at 100 yds. Pop cans at 200 when it is calm are fun. For maximum effective .22LR use on rodents is 75 yards. Using a 20X at 75 yards puts you real close to the rodent for head shots using their beady eyes for reference.

Most center fire scopes have a minimum adjustable focus/parallax range of 50 yards or fixed parallax set at 100 yards - not good for .22LR use..

Lots of .22LR ammo - I'm shooting cheap Aguila & CCI Blazer now, about $0.11 - $0.13 per round.

I also have a .17 HMR - cost about 0.40 per round but very effective at 120 yards or so. Easily beats the .22LR at 100.

Last edited:
A bit over your budget, but I like SWFA 3x15x42 MIL. Parallax adjustment under 10 yards, reliable/accurate turrets with sufficient elevation range, as well as a good, usable reticle for 200+ yard shots with rimfire ammo. With a 50 yard zero, you should be in the 6-7MIL range for 200 yard work(1200MV). I personally prefer MILS over MOA for long range rimfire hunting/shooting. Paired up with a good RF/Ballistic calculator it's fast and accurate.. IMO.

Last edited:
I 2nd what Greyfox said. I had a 22 rifle for small target plinking out to 200 yards on the clock. For your purposes and budget, I keep coming back to the SWFA 3-15x42. FIND the extra $$$. There are obviously better options but they cost alot more $$$.

If you haven't already... consider a good range finder. Accurate ranging becomes critical beyond about 100 yards on Pdog size targets when using a 22 lr.

I 2nd what Greyfox said. I had a 22 rifle for small target plinking out to 200 yards on the clock. For your purposes and budget, I keep coming back to the SWFA 3-15x42. FIND the extra $$$. There are obviously better options but they cost alot more $$$.

If you haven't already... consider a good range finder. Accurate ranging becomes critical beyond about 100 yards on Pdog size targets when using a 22 lr.
You can find a Swfa under 500 I bought one for 399 on Black Friday sale and occasional see them listed on the internet for around 400 too 500 . A good starter would be there fixed 10 power