Looking for rimfire gong-type target info

Skinny Shooter

Got a Ruger Mk3 Hunter last year and am getting tired of shooting shotgun hulls and paper with it.
Figured I'd put my plasma cutter to use and make some spinner targets and some small animal targets.

For rimfire only, would 1/4" mild steel be sufficient or should I jump up to 5/16"?

if you only shot 22 stuff i would guess the 5/16 would be best but if you get it to close it will still leave dents I would say.
but if you can get your hands on some AR500 plate it will last forever or even
AR400 plate
Also MGM is having a sale on some 22rimefire auto reset targets
MGM Targets | Specials
retiredcpo

those are all good designs but if you cut the parts out of AR500 plate it will last for ever! esp if only shot with rimfires
I shoot AR500 3/8 plate with everthing from 22S through 300 win mags
from 50 yards to 1000 yards the stell does not even scratch
retired3

My rimfire targets are 1/4" mild steel. I shoot them from 50 yds on out & don't dent them with a 22 rifle. The 17 HMR will leave a mark @ 50, but just knocks the paint off @ 100 yds & beyond.

Kansas has it right. There is no need for heavy duty steel for .22 rimfire spinners. I have some mild steel silhouette spinners that have been tagged thousands of times with no damage at all. I have shot them from 25 yards out to 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.