looking for right 22 hornet action.

The CZ527 .22 Hornet action. Impact Guns has a few for sale on-line. www.impactguns.com (I am not affiliated with Impact Guns in any way, I've just been watching for CZ 550, .375 H&H actions to become available from them)
Yes i saw that I think i may just build a 22-250 or a 222 remington. The prices on any hornet are like my 87 monte carlo ss that im building right now. Every thing is twice the price. But thank you for all your help,Bob.

I have a spare Rem 700 , 223 action laying around here that I'm probably not going to get the opportunity to use, I have enough 'projects' going on to last for a long while! It's a NIB action. Send me a PM if you're interested. I will say, that after you 'dress' a 700 with a magazine box, follower & spring, bottom metal and screws you'll have into it, what Impact wants for the CZ 527. Stocks for the 700 will be easier to find, though...

Last edited:
Short grass is correct especially if you want a good trigger on a 700. A different spring in a 527 makes them really a nice trigger.

Last edited:
thank you very much to every one for being so informative and all the great information from you all. You guys will never know how much this means to me. THANKS AGAIN,Bob.

Seriously though, take a close look at the 221 fireball. 40 grain vmax at 3450fps is no joke with lilgun powder and the report is not nearly the crack of a 22-250.

What is the differance for the remi sa.
The feed is different. Just look at the .223 case next to a .243 Win case. No way would a .243 feed out of a .223 action without making serious alterations to the action. And, reverse the situation. The .223 case is so much smaller in diameter it would not stay in the magazine , let alone feed from a .22/250 243.308 action. The magazine boxes are different too , as well as the spring and followers. You can' just take any rem 700 SA, put a .223 box, spring and follower in it and expect it to feed properly.

Seriously though, take a close look at the 221 fireball. 40 grain vmax at 3450fps is no joke with lilgun powder and the report is not nearly the crack of a 22-250.
Good luck coming up with mag box, spring and follower for the .221. I have kept an eye on Rems' rifle parts web site for a very long time waiting for them to manufacture some more. The .221 probably won't work in a CZ 527 that was made for the Hornet, as the Hornet is a rimmed cartridge and the .221 isn't. Just to be clear, the .223 isn't a "boomer" by any stretch of the imagination,,,,,, the .222 isn't, either..............

The feed is different. Just look at the .223 case next to a .243 Win case. No way would a .243 feed out of a .223 action without making serious alterations to the action. And, reverse the situation. The .223 case is so much smaller in diameter it would not stay in the magazine , let alone feed from a .22/250 243.308 action. The magazine boxes are different too , as well as the spring and followers. You can' just take any rem 700 SA, put a .223 box, spring and follower in it and expect it to feed properly.
ok thanks a bunch for sharing your wealth of information

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.