looking for right 22 hornet action.

Good luck coming up with mag box, spring and follower for the .221. I have kept an eye on Rems' rifle parts web site for a very long time waiting for them to manufacture some more. The .221 probably won't work in a CZ 527 that was made for the Hornet, as the Hornet is a rimmed cartridge and the .221 isn't. Just to be clear, the .223 isn't a "boomer" by any stretch of the imagination,,,,,, the .222 isn't, either..............
A 221 fireball will not work in a 527 hornet action.
Different boltface and magazines, I believe the extractors are different also.

ive built alot of ar 15 and they have a pretty good crack to them.it seems to me that all of these smaller calibers are not compatible with many of the other smaller rounds.so i think i just will build a 243 that way i can use it on deer among other game down here in south florida

If
ive built alot of ar 15 and they have a pretty good crack to them.it seems to me that all of these smaller calibers are not compatible with many of the other smaller rounds.so i think i just will build a 243 that way i can use it on deer among other game down here in south florida
I have shot a lot of downloaded to subsonic 22 Hornet and 221 FB using Trail Boss and while pretty quiet they would still spook hogs over bait. If what you are looking for is something quiet that you can shoot more than one hog before they take off then why not just run a suppressor on whatever you have and down load them to subsonic with Trail Boss. That will give you the quietest gun possible that you can still up load for longer range.

'Round here, any .22CF isn't enough for hogs. Think 6.5MM or larger, and they're always are at a distance' If they're not, they're moving fast! Even if you set-up bait, you might sit in your stand for days before they happen by, as they have a wide range to wander with plenty of food. And,, they are very weary to begin with as there are several predators they need to avoid, not just humans.....

Any ideas on what action would be best for a 22 hornet or a super hornet. I would prefer a remington action but im open to a good action that is not to costly.Thanks for any input,Bob.
First off what do you plan on doing with it?If hunting the CZ 527 American is as good as it gets,nothing out there will outshoot it by more than a hair.I've killed hundreds of coyotes with mine and no complaints,spend more on a good scope than the rifle costs and you'll be happy.I don't reload and good factory ammo will shoot moa at 200 yards.Here's @ 100yards benched solid ,ideal condition,Hornady 35 grain V-max @ 3100 fps,can drill a coyote DRT Four shot group,works for me,however I practice relentlessly,missing is not an option.
moa.jpg

A .221 Fireball will have more energy than a .22 Hornet; however the report is considerably louder.
Haven't checked the price on a turnkey .19 Calhoon Hornet lately, but pretty sure it would be less than a custom build. Kind of in-between the .22H and .221 Rem. energy-wise, and still fairly quiet I've heard....
www.jamescalhoon.com

First off what do you plan on doing with it?If hunting the CZ 527 American is as good as it gets,nothing out there will outshoot it by more than a hair.I've killed hundreds of coyotes with mine and no complaints,spend more on a good scope than the rifle costs and you'll be happy.I don't reload and good factory ammo will shoot moa at 200 yards.Here's @ 100yards benched solid ,ideal condition,Hornady 35 grain V-max @ 3100 fps,can drill a coyote DRT Four shot group,works for me,however I practice relentlessly,missing is not an option.
View attachment 185493
Yea i was a sniper in the military. And i grew up in virginia so i got my first rifle when i was ten.and i spent every dime i could come up with on ammo.I have been building rifle 30 years. But for some reason i never got into small caliber stuff. i saw a 527 action for 480 i think and that may be the way i go. Talking to another gentleman on here has been helpful on what works and not. So it seems that the remingtons our out. It allso seems that all these small calibers are all differant from each other.I mean that the actions are caliber specific. I could be wrong. I think im over loaded.a few peeps are saying a 221 fireball is the way to go.Your thoughts?

'Round here, any .22CF isn't enough for hogs. Think 6.5MM or larger, and they're always are at a distance' If they're not, they're moving fast! Even if you set-up bait, you might sit in your stand for days before they happen by, as they have a wide range to wander with plenty of food. And,, they are very weary to begin with as there are several predators they need to avoid, not just humans.....
Well that is what i do down here is hunt hogs for a 12000 acre farm.so i have that covered. Iuse my 338 edge for long range and i built a 458 lott for the close stuff.But i have a crap ton of yotes so i thought the hornet would work on them.

If

I have shot a lot of downloaded to subsonic 22 Hornet and 221 FB using Trail Boss and while pretty quiet they would still spook hogs over bait. If what you are looking for is something quiet that you can shoot more than one hog before they take off then why not just run a suppressor on whatever you have and down load them to subsonic with Trail Boss. That will give you the quietest gun possible that you can still up load for longer range.
That is a good idea but the hornet was not for hogs. i have been hunting for a living for ten years now and i got them down pat.The boss does not like yotes so it would be for turkey and yotes.And i think my edge and my 458 would be a little much. Plus they are not cheap to shoot either. so im thinking about a mauser action that a friend just gave to me about a hour ago. its the small ring g33-40 action and its a complete action nothing to hunt down but what is the small caliber i can run with it. And having my buddy stan at douglas to make a barrel for it.

Well I really don't know what else to tell you. You started out asking specifically about the 22 H and a small ring g33-40. You got lots of options for an off the shelf 22 Hornet that are accurate as heck and cost less than $700 but you said those are too expensive. The G33 is a poor choice to make into a 22 H or 221 FB but pretty much any thing from 223 to 30-06 can be made on it easily by a good smith. That is going to cost you at least $700 with a barrel and smith work. Then guys gave you options for cheaper choices in 223 but that didn't fit the bill.

There are not really all that many 22 caliber options. The 221 is a hand loading proposition because factory ammo is rare and even 221 brass is some work to find. The 22 Hornet and 223 both have lots of factory ammo and with a suppressor either should work great. Outside of that, there is the 22-250 and then you are into the 6mm range. Seems to me you need to set budget, specific use and then the pick is pretty easy. My suggestion, buy a used CZ in 22 Hornet and try it out, if you end up not liking it they resell very easily.

If you can find a bolt gun in 223 with 12 twist, try the 40 grain Vmax. Zingers for sure, close to 3800fps. If you are used to 223 AR's the bolt guns are a different league. Those flash hiders on AR's just make them louder along with the short barrels. Plus most AR barrels are 7 or 8 twist which won't shoot 40 grains well at all.

Well I really don't know what else to tell you. You started out asking specifically about the 22 H and a small ring g33-40. You got lots of options for an off the shelf 22 Hornet that are accurate as heck and cost less than $700 but you said those are too expensive. The G33 is a poor choice to make into a 22 H or 221 FB but pretty much any thing from 223 to 30-06 can be made on it easily by a good smith. That is going to cost you at least $700 with a barrel and smith work. Then guys gave you options for cheaper choices in 223 but that didn't fit the bill.

There are not really all that many 22 caliber options. The 221 is a hand loading proposition because factory ammo is rare and even 221 brass is some work to find. The 22 Hornet and 223 both have lots of factory ammo and with a suppressor either should work great. Outside of that, there is the 22-250 and then you are into the 6mm range. Seems to me you need to set budget, specific use and then the pick is pretty easy. My suggestion, buy a used CZ in 22 Hornet and try it out, if you end up not liking it they resell very easily.
Yes dean I am sorry to every that has posted on this .I am all over the place but i have the tools to build every thing that i would need.So if i can build it its just that im building it my self But in this case i now you are right i am going to buy the 527 and stop bothering you guys. thank you for being candid about me going in a hundred differant directions,Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.