Looking for rifle for wife

Matthew- i have shot quite a few ellk and guided other guys/gals to around 40 . the creedmore would kill one so will a .243 it would not be my choice. That said, for me the rifle/scope is more important than the caliber. a tikka or remington or sako. 270 , 30-06 , 7mm mag 300 win mag. i would add a brake if it you choose a magnum. wear muff and puffs to shoot. leup. scope.

Hunting in the western united states. I do not reload but have a company that does for me.
To what range is she capable of putting it on the money with a quality set up?

That's the biggest determining factor in choice of calibers.

The .260rem or 6.5x284 will get the job done if you put it in the right place easily out to 600yds with the proper load/bullet selection.

Both have mild recoil and excellent ballistics.

For that matter a Sendero in .264wm or 7mm Rem would do it very well especially if you put a good brake on the rifle.

Matthew- i have shot quite a few ellk and guided other guys/gals to around 40 . the creedmore would kill one so will a .243 it would not be my choice. That said, for me the rifle/scope is more important than the caliber. a tikka or remington or sako. 270 , 30-06 , 7mm mag 300 win mag. i would add a brake if it you choose a magnum. wear muff and puffs to shoot. leup. scope.
The Snowy Mountain Rifles muzzle break is highly effective and easy on the ears. So is the Gentry Quiet brake but it's not a good choice for prone shooters whereas the SMR is.

Thank you for your help looking at a Tikka 7mm-08 we would like to do a elk hunt this year or next.

I recommend a 270. I can post a number of pics, which I already have several times, of several young ladies on the brink of their teenage years or barely into their teens with their big mulie bucks they killed with a custom rifle I gave to my friend in CO. I had the HS Precision stock shortened to a 12 1/4" LOP, a Lilja 24" 3 groove tube on a blueprinted stainless 700 action with DM. I topped it with a Leupold scope. The #2 Big Horn Ram was killed by my friend's wife and was in Eastman's Journal. All of these hunters used the rifle I gave to them shooting one bullet, one load: H4831SC and a 130 TSX. They intend to use this load on elk as well and it will get the job done.

The rifle has a Pachmyer decelerator pad installed as well. Not one of them has complained about the recoil, the animal they killed, gutting it, or eating it.

Well, that was built back in 2006. Going by memory: I got the rifle on sale at Bass Pro here in Cincinnati for $600 out the door. It was factory with a black plastic stock. I got the barrel from Dan Lilja. It was $310 shipped. I got the stock from HS Precision for around $250 or 300. I sent it to a guy in Utah from another hunting website forum and he charged about $125 to shorten the LOP and install the Pachmyer pad. I had engaged in a few conversations with Mickey Coleman in Alabama and decided to give him a try on the build: Coleman Rifles

I want to say I paid him around $500 to true the action, cut crown and chamber the barrel at the time and skim bed the action/bbl in the stock.

I paid about $50 for rings/bases and around $400 for the scope.

I am pictured with the rifle and my 2007 mule deer. That was the year I gave the rifle to my bud. I hunted Wyoming for pronghorn, filled 2 tags, got those hunts on video, then hunted CO for deer. I loaded 150 Btips and IMR4831 and right from the get go the rifle was a shooter. I left that ammo with them as well when I drove home from CO, leaving the rifle with them after I "test drove" it on 3 game animals in one season.

Adam, my friend, asked me what would be my "do-all" load for deer and elk with that rifle. I told him to use H4831SC and a 130 Barnes TSX and never look back. I will try to get a picture of his wife, the blonde in a few of the pics, and her #2 CO big horn ram. All of those CO critters you see fell to that load and almost all of the kills are on video. As you can see from the results, Adam has no intentions of changing the loads. He has a friend there in his home town that does his loading.

I would be interested in one. What is the cost? What is the lead time for it?
Matt have you visited our classifieds section?

Here's a hell of a deal on a Tikka that would work well for your needs.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/tikka-121874/

Out to 400yds this 6mm would get it done very well as well.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/remington-custom-700-6mm-121831/

I've bought a half dozen rifles from people through our classified section here and they have all been great deals.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.