Looking for real life hunting experience with the 245 Berger.

richhymas

Looking for pictures and personal hunting experiences with the 245 grain berger. How was penetration and expansion? Any concerns?

I'll tag in on this one. I'm curious as well, I'm a huge 338 Lapua fan but this bullet driven at ultra mag velocities or in a 30-338 lapua or 30-378wby would be just crazy with that BC.

I have shot many animals with Bergers, bottom line with decent to good shot placement they are awesome. Their issue is they always seem to break apart so at long range they may not reliably break both shoulders on an elk.

Chiming back in now that hunting season is underway. I killed another nice mule deer buck with 300 win mag and 215 berger. At 283 yards it was super devastating but also super messy. First shot was back a bit at the liver. Caught the lung bases. Blew a holes the size of my fist out the other side. Deer took a few steps so second shot hit spine. No more spine and no more back straps. Only small fragments of copper remained. Another fist sized hole. It puts game down fast, but is very explosive, especially at shorter ranges. I am actually hoping that the 245 grain will be a bit slower and have a bit more controlled expansion with good penetration.

May be relevant or not but it seems the 6.5 berger 156 is much more explosive that the 140's. The 156 didn't exit several deer while the 140 has punched thru elk. This was in the 156 berger thread. Great ballistics though.

Last edited:
May be relevant or not but it seems the 6.5 berger 156 is much more explosive that the 140's. The 156 didn't exit several deer while the 140 has punched thru elk. This was in the 156 berger thread. Great ballistic though.
I guess we will have to see. I hear the 7mm 195 bergers sometimes fail to expand so I guess every weight and caliber has somewhat different results.

The 200 20x, 215, 230, and 245 all seem to have similar if not the same nose and boat tail. The bearing surface seems to be the main difference. There is a lead line difference as well but you see that in lot to lot variation as well so its hard to say. I would expect all of them to have similar performance if driven to similar velocity. But I do think its a bit early to get much actual feedback on the 245.

About to start working the 245's in my norma improved. From the few reviews I've read they're awesome to work with using n570. Hoping to get an accurate and real stable load for next season.

It's now December. Has anyone harvested a big game animal with the 245 bergers yet? I am dying to hear about the terminal ballistics.

I have shot many animals with Bergers, bottom line with decent to good shot placement they are awesome. Their issue is they always seem to break apart so at long range they may not reliably break both shoulders on an elk.
I dont know anyone trying to break both shoulders of elk due to the loss of meat. Is that a common thought?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.