Looking for opinions please. Lightweight backpack

Hey Chindits, thank you for that! I am hoping to help my back out. 42 and arthritis of a 80 year old along my spine,.. That sling system is awesome! Seek is in the contention for sure now. I been looking at them a lot more lately. Buddy yesterday said the same thing. Sure would like a whiskey river though!

Alas, for me & my budget constraints, i've been using more economically friendly packs.

I have an Alps Outdoorz Traverse EPS that has seen some good use.
But at 6# bare, and the way the pockets are situated, i use it less and less.

Their Falcon works well for me. Light, with gun/bow holder.
But then i realized that when the rifle is attached to my pack, it's unacessable to me when walking in or out.

Friend of mine bought one of their Big Bear packs. And after using it for a year i bought one too.
We both really like them for when we start getting miles away from the truck.

Good morning all! Thank you again for all the replies! This site is a wealth of knowledge and it seems I've tapped into the center! I'm going to the Sportsman's show here in WA on the first Saturday of Feb. should be a couple vendors there. Seems now that it's EXO, Glacier Peak, Seek and Kuiu. Gonna put some hands on and then make my choice. Hope to do a review as well once I do! Us larger fellas know it's difficult to find comfortable stuff so all your input saves me a lot of money,….

Seek outside and creative outdoors Slik sling for me. Sorry Kifaru I used the gun bearer for years but no more.

I use my seek outside for everything. Day hikes or 10 day backpack hunts I grab the same pack. It can compress easily and lots of options to adapt the platform for pack outs.

It still sucks packing elk out solo so I'm not going to blow smoke up your skirt about whiskey rivers and unicorns. I started using them when they first came out and they were a heck of a lot more affordable then then now. So now I would try and find folks with seek outside, stone glacier, Kifaru and exo to feel up each platform and see how it packs dead weight and how it compresses with just the hunting load. It's your back it's your choice, choose wisely and you won't have every brand of pack in your closet.
What Seek pack are you using? I agree with you about that Slik Sling! Used the kifaru gun bearer for 10+ years , the Slik sling is just,well, slicker. Gun is behind shoulder, but quickly accessible. I have zero desire for a heavy scabbard.

Yes, exo has the new K4 coming out this March. Sounds like it will be sweet. I've used exo since 2013, the first and second versions. Love them. I have zero practical reasons to get the K4 except my daughter needs my old pack I think😁.
I'm also intrigued by the seek outside packs.

Good morning all! Thank you again for all the replies! This site is a wealth of knowledge and it seems I've tapped into the center! I'm going to the Sportsman's show here in WA on the first Saturday of Feb. should be a couple vendors there. Seems now that it's EXO, Glacier Peak, Seek and Kuiu. Gonna put some hands on and then make my choice. Hope to do a review as well once I do! Us larger fellas know it's difficult to find comfortable stuff so all your input saves me a lot of money,….
I'd definitely go with EXO. I have all three models, the K2 3500, K3 4800 & the new K4 3600 (prototype). I've carried out over 30 animals with the EXO's and some HEAVY packs. They are comfortable and durable and a great company. Stone glacier is also a great company, but their packs are a little too lightweight for me personally.

There is a VERY in-depth review on all of the packs you're looking into done by Mindful Hunter on Youtube. He did an excellent job with his review. Definitely suggest watching that before spending some big money.

Yes, exo has the new K4 coming out this March. Sounds like it will be sweet. I've used exo since 2013, the first and second versions. Love them. I have zero practical reasons to get the K4 except my daughter needs my old pack I think😁.
I'm also intrigued by the seek outside packs.
I used the K4 all of this season. It was sweet. I think your daughter probably needs your old pack also haha. What size you thinking?!

I used the K4 all of this season. It was sweet. I think your daughter probably needs your old pack also haha. What size you thinking?!
Isn't there one around 5000? Probably that size. Mine is an old 5500(I think) . Been perfect even for short walks looking for sheds. Compresses great. Hauled half a small bull a few times.

Isn't there one around 5000? Probably that size. Mine is an old 5500(I think) . Been perfect even for short walks looking for sheds. Compresses great. Hauled half a small bull a few times.
The K4 will have a 5000 size I believe. And the older K3 has a 4800 size also

What Seek pack are you using? I agree with you about that Slik Sling! Used the kifaru gun bearer for 10+ years , the Slik sling is just,well, slicker. Gun is behind shoulder, but quickly accessible. I have zero desire for a heavy scabbard.
It's an old Broadwing 7000 with pass through side pockets above the water bottle pockets . It's pretty handy for long awkward tripods or poles. I just looked at their packs and I don't see anything like it now. I actually don't understand what they're thinking with their tall side pockets now. Too bad.

I will say a lightweight pack means nothing if you have to pack out something heavy and the pack doesn't handle it well. I had a kuiu 5500 I believe it was. When I loaded it down it kept slipping down and I would have to adjust it over and over. Hip belt would not stay put.

I would recommend trying the packs on and walking with some weight in them before purchasing one. Light is good...but it don't matter how light it is if it is not comfortable when loaded. I now have a mystery ranch day pack and two kifaru's. The kifaru holds weight better than anything I have tried.

If you want to buy once cry once look at Exo, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru. Pick one that fits you the best.

Yes between his review and some friends with EXO i went with the K3 4800. Only been using it for rucking but like it this far.
I'd definitely go with EXO. I have all three models, the K2 3500, K3 4800 & the new K4 3600 (prototype). I've carried out over 30 animals with the EXO's and some HEAVY packs. They are comfortable and durable and a great company. Stone glacier is also a great company, but their packs are a little too lightweight for me personally.

There is a VERY in-depth review on all of the packs you're looking into done by Mindful Hunter on Youtube. He did an excellent job with his review. Definitely suggest watching that before spending some big money.

I have run a Kifaru for the last 8 years. I have the original bag, lid, & grab it, I am on my 2nd frame. I really like the pack frame and my bag set up. With that said I tried on the EXO K4 last week at the Sheep Show and it was super nice! I may need a 7000" bag for an extended hunt next year. That K4 was nice and I think I would prefer the bag to the Kifaru Dall bag.