looking for opinions for a new pack

This is a good topic because big game hunting packs are different than UL backpacking packs.

Hunting backpacks need to be strong enough to carry a heavy (60 -70 lbs.) load yet not heavy as an empty pack.

IMHO Eberlestock packs are well designed but WAY too heavy B/C they are made of unnecessarily heavy Cordura fabric, heavy duty straps and buckles. The Eberlestock, Granite Gear and Mystery Ranch packs designed for the military need to be heavy for the harsh conditions they must endure.

Hunting packs just need to be reasonably durable and strong and as light as possible. This mean placing the heavier fabric ONLY where it is needed such as the bottom of the pack. Medium weight fabric on the sides and lighter fabric on the back and top.
Nylon webbing straps can be lighter and narrower and still be **** strong. Their buckles are strong as well without being big. Try breaking a light nylon webbing strap on a UL backpack. You can't.

Seek Outside may have the best balance between pack weight and pack strength.

Eric B.

untitled (2).pngI have been using an EberlieStock Blue Widow with the rifle scabbard for the past 5years or so. And I can tell you it is one tough sob... yeah its a little heavy but the extra weight has been worth it! I have had 100 pounds in it a couple of times and nothing has broke (just about killed me).
I'm an Eberliestock Fan!!!

I have owned two Eberlestock packs; the Phantom and the Skycrane. They are great for organization (lots of pockets, attachment points, integral gun protection) but they are heavy, and they are not comfortable when fully loaded.

I still own the Skycrane, but it doesn't get used for hunting. It's my range pack and shooting pack.

For hunting, you would be better off with a Mystery Ranch, Exo, Kifaru or other similar pack.

Personally, I use a custom made McHale pack. It's better than any other pack on the market in terms of load carrying capacity, and completely customizable, but it's more expensive than anything else you will see. Is it worth it? Depends on how much you want to spend and how much weight you want to pack out.

McHale Custom Ultralight Fitted Internal Frame Backpacks

thanks guys keep it coming. I was able to find a spot that is an eberlestock dealer yesterday and go try out the just one pack. I was really leaning twards this pack because of its ability to really grow. im glad I did because the pack just didn't feel right once I put it on. I spent some time adjusting everything I could but wasn't able to put any weight in it. something just didn't feel right about the pack. am I jumping to conclusions here? im very indecisive right now.

I have an older gen. 2 Kifaru Longhunter and an Eberlestock J34 as my main packs. The Kifaru carries a heavier load more comfortably, but the J34 is my go-to multi-day pack because it is more flexible with respect to loading. I was not real happy with my J34 when i first got it, but with a few easy adjustments it was a different pack. I used it on a CO elk backpack hunt a few years ago and it performed pretty well.

If I were buying a new pack today, I would get an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe pack along with a dry bag and/or a (zip-on) spike camp duffle which I already use with my J34. This pack setup could be used as a day pack, multi-day pack, and as a hauler to pack out game. I wish they had this pack when I began using packs for hunting.

Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly. Hands down... Yes it is heavy, but after years off packing out entire Mulies ( and I mean every ounce of meat) with it I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Last thing you want when you are 7 miles back is for light weight pack to fail on you. This will NEVER happen with an Eberlestock. And as far as the weight.. when you are focused on the hunt, you don't even realize it's there...

well I thought I would post an update on my pack status. I just dropped my money this week on a kifaru set up. I was able to purchase a very lightly almost new emr2 with the guide lid for less than $375 and I called kifaru today and ordered a hunter frame with composite stays. the total package came in at just under $800. I know this goes against everything I outline when I started looking for a pack but I feel I have total piece of mind for once. the pack should be able to everything I ever wanted to try, and the frame is supposed to be top notch to. kifaru was so great to deal with byy the way. they told me to expect 2-3 weeks for the frame to arrive so once I get everything put together and take a few loaded hikes with it I will pass on my experience. thanks again for all the input you fellas gave.

well I thought I would post an update on my pack status. I just dropped my money this week on a kifaru set up. I was able to purchase a very lightly almost new emr2 with the guide lid for less than $375 and I called kifaru today and ordered a hunter frame with composite stays. the total package came in at just under $800. I know this goes against everything I outline when I started looking for a pack but I feel I have total piece of mind for once. the pack should be able to everything I ever wanted to try, and the frame is supposed to be top notch to. kifaru was so great to deal with byy the way. they told me to expect 2-3 weeks for the frame to arrive so once I get everything put together and take a few loaded hikes with it I will pass on my experience. thanks again for all the input you fellas gave.

Buy once, cry once. I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

I have been hunting Alaska for 52 years and many friends are hard core hunters. The Alaskan Back Pack with the Pinnacle Bag is regarded as the cream of the crop for heavy duty loads.

This pack is available from Barneys Sports Chalet in Anchorage. It is an external pack frame that can haul a 10 day sheep hunt load, a hind quarter from a moose or your favorite out board engine.

It is the pack of choice for hard core back pack hunters in Alaska. There are other packs that are good, Mystery Creek, Kifaru and Eberlestock make good packs.

My grand kids will be fighting over my Barneys back pack, they last forever..........

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.