Looking for opinion on local gunshop

kbb468

I want to have some work done on a savage and thought of taking it to the local Gander Mountain here in Novi, Michigan to save on shipping and FFL charges. Has anyone here dealt with Gander Mountain in general. Good or Bad?

Thanks

You can ship your rifle to any FFL dealer in the USA. You do not have to go an FFL to ship it for you.
As for Gander Mpountains work, ask someone who has had work done by them. They should be able to provide references.

Thanks, I was hoping that maybe someone on here may have done business with them personally or knew of someone who has. Thanks for the information on shipping.

What kind of work are you planning to have done?

The GM gunsmith at our local store really doesn't enjoy what he does. He has not been very helpful.

These two places are in Davison just outside of Flint.
Williams Gun Sight
Answer Rifles - for some reason that sight would not come up.

I have had Answer do good work.

I want to have a pre-chambered Douglas barrel installed along with having the head space set, true the action and bolt face.

Answer is located in Troy or Madison Heigths around stephenson highway and 15 mile. I thought they only did porting and breaks.

As far as I know they do it all (my uncle has 3 of their rifles). I am certain though I sent a rifle to Davison (they may have moved) but I do see they are in Troy.

Give Sam a call and just make sure you have the time to talk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

kbb
I had a freind take a Winchester to the local G.M. to have it reblued, all I can say is he's glad it still shoots well cause it don't look so good. I don't know if it's something they do in house or ship out but the color/coverage varied a great deal over the barrel.

Well put and a very respectful comment. The problem is timing because the good gunsmiths have waiting lines.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.