Looking for my first semi-auto shotgun

I have a browning maxus and a franchi affinity . The maxus fits me a little better and it swings easier . And if I shot some slugs or buck shot I can feel the difference real good compared with the affinity . The affinity didn't fit me as good and I had to shorten the lop and now seems better . Like a lot of guys here try to try a few before making a final decision . I had an over under that I got a great deal on , but after a round of trap I sold it as it would not fit me at all , and to make it work would have needed stock work etc .

I do not have a huge amount of semi-auto shotgun experience but for 3 gun I went with the Beretta 1301 which is similar to the A400. I could not be happier as it feeds even the lightest loads that hung up in my Remington 1100 and Mossberg 930. My observation is that my gun has never jammed and the trigger is fantastic. I love to shoot it and am confident in it. Not a bash but the Benelli M2 is the standard shotgun of the 3 gun world and I see them jam occasionally on light loads. Just my experience. I am sold on the Beretta but I am sure that there are many others that are equally loved by their owners!

I have owned and shot just about every type of shotgun. Started with the old hammer single shot 410 then graduated to a side by side 410 at age 8. I went ta a 20 ga. pump for my 10th birthday and shot it till I was 14. My dad then gave me a Belgium Browning light 12 that I shot skeet and doves with. I owned many other gas and pump shotguns throughout my lifetime since. That being said, I will now ONLY own a Benelli SBE 2 for all of my shooting needs. I hunt waterfowl and upland game as well as shoot sporting clays and doves with this shotgun and wouldn't trade it for any other shotgun out there. I have seen malfunctions by others on just about all of the gas operated shotguns in the duck blind and I'm usually the one fixing them for the guys. I can't say enough for the reliability of the SBE2's. I will say though is when I bought one, the first thing I did is change out the standard recoil spring in the stock for an aftermarket stainless spring. I have done this for a few of the others who have seen the reliability I experience and have converted from gas as well.

My personal preference is gas guns and Beretta's. I own just as many Benelli's however, and have shot more rounds through Remmy's than the "B" guns combined. Owned nothing but Remmy's till I tuned 45.

I think some of the old gas guns (Rem 1100's) were a lot harder to clean than todays newer designs which turned some folks off the gas guns. The Beretta's I own, a couple A400's and an al391 in the autoloaders, don't get very dirty and are a breeze to clean. Not any more difficult than cleaning an inertia gun. They have also been as reliable, if not more so than the Inertia guns, but I clean mine every time the are shot. I know they to me have less felt recoil and are a pleasure to shoot.

With all that said, there are many great shotguns out there and it's pretty hard to go wrong with any. Do as others here say, by shouldering a few and see what fits. That's probably more important than what the label says. Don't be fooled into thinking some of the cheaper guns don't perform, as many of those are also quite good.

I was in the same boat this past fall....I'm an over under type guy... but needed a shotgun with across the board versatility ... I chose the - well... the dark horse and love it...I can't believe no one has mentioned the Remington V3. I was fortunate to have been able to try Berretta, Benelli, Franchi etc. I must have tried 6 or 7.... I kept coming back to the V3... the recoil reduction is astonishing even with 3" magnums its easy manageable too easy really... They say it feels like a 20 ga when you're shooting magnums... I can't argue that.
It eats anything you feed it over and over and over again... I purposely tried to "confuse" it by feeding a mixed variety of target loads, field
Loads and magnums ... never hiccuped... in a blind with Benneli' they did t fair as well during a flurry or thumping.
there's no need for 3 1/2" magnum over a 3" mag. Really...
I chose the wood stock as I like the feel of the "softer" wood over the "sharp" plastic...
I think it's really worth a look.. especially if you take along look at Remington's Versaport gas system... it's pretty slick engineering that works flawlessly with whatever you feed it.. at $800 it's under your budget and why pay for big names that dont get you more gun...

I have the Stoeger 3500.
Shoots the 3 1/2 shell. Price is good.
ONLY thing I don't like about it that they do not make a Deer slug barrel.
No after market barrels made for it anywhere. I have no idea why.
Something to think about if you like to deer hunt and shoot a round of skeet with the deer slug barrel.
I shoot about 6 rounds of skeet with my old browning Auto 5 deer slug barrel and it works great for me. Gets me ready for quail and grouse in heavy cover with a bird dog. Only bad thing about the stoger shotguns no deer slug barrel . Marty

I have a Beretta Extrema and had it for 15 years now shot countless shells through it anything and everything EXCEPT slugs. Not trying to start a "my gun brand is better than your gun brand" but it never failed me and it would be shooting we a lot of the other big name brand's wouldn't be. Up until one day out dove hunting it got run over with a pick-up broke the butt stock off and it has been down hill every since.
I now have a Beretta Extrema 350. It feels like it belongs in my arms. When I first got it I couldn't get my face down on the stock enough for the right sight picture. However it came with an adjustable shim which puts it exactly where it needs to be for me. Before I bought that I used the ever faithful Remington 870 even though I had a versa max. Never could love the feel of it even though I bought it very well under 1000. An auto loader uses some energy to cycle the action. I believe in my experiences that I kill more birds with a pump action. I have had people tell me that was in my head. After 50years of duck and goose hunting Im sure I have the right to my opinion. I do use the Beretta more than any other auto I have ever owned but when the birds get weary I go back to the 870. I can also say the stoager 300 fit me like a glove off the shelf but not reliable like the Beretta and most others. When I use steel shot I every advantage I can get.

I am looking at buying my first semi-auto shotgun, I plan to use it for waterfowl and Dove, possibly Turkey. I do not want to pay over 1000.00, I have been looking at Stoeger M3500 and Beretta A300 outlander, I wanted to see if anyone has experience with these two and could possibly provide the good and the bad? Also, if there are any other shotguns someone think are better in the same price range. Thanks.
I have used my Remington Woodsmaster Semi Auto 12 guage for many years to hunt Wild Turkeys, I put a Turkey choke and tru-glo sights on it , I can use 2 3/4" 4-5 shot shells and it's always reliable and dependable.

Last edited:
I have extensive use with semi auto shotguns as I owned a duck club for over 25 years and shot about 3 days a week during the season which is the longest in the US. I orginally started out with The super black eagle and while its a great shotgun the recoil will get your attention when shooting 3 1/2 inch shells ! I switched to the beretta extrema which is a gas gun and found it to be more forgiving in the recoil expecially if your shooting 3 1l2 inch steel all day long !

I am really old. Growing up I used pump shotguns because ALL the autos that friends owned were unreliable as hell. That bas changed with modern manufacture and design. About 12 years ago I bought my first auto, Beretta 390, on closeout at Walmart for $400. It has atleast 10,000 round through it and no problems. It has such little recoil that you can shoot all day without pain and will cycle with any load. The inertia quality competitor is Benelli. They are simple guns but will kick the fillings out of your teeth and will not cycle with light loads. Don't be fooled Reingtons will break in the low thoudands of rounds.

I am looking at buying my first semi-auto shotgun, I plan to use it for waterfowl and Dove, possibly Turkey. I do not want to pay over 1000.00, I have been looking at Stoeger M3500 and Beretta A300 outlander, I wanted to see if anyone has experience with these two and could possibly provide the good and the bad? Also, if there are any other shotguns someone think are better in the same price range. Thanks.
I added some info earlier about my Beretta extrema 350 and neglected to say as much as I like the gun recoil from 3.5 high density shot is brutal! Some of the extramas have the kick off in their stock. Mine does not. I can buy one for 250.00 but I'm not sure how much weight it would add. So far been using mostly 3 inch loads. Adding 250 to original price of gun would put it over the 1000. You are trying for.

Beretta or benelli might be a hard find under 1k. If you find one get it. I enjoy mine but I only shoot 3 inch shells even for Canadas

I tried different types of semi-auto shotguns over the years with limited results. I went to Beretta and have never been more pleased. I currently own an old Beretta A-390 ST & a Beretta 1301 Comp 24". Both are gas guns with adjustments for cast and drop at heel. The 1301 Comp. has adjustable length of pull as well. I've probably got 2,000 - 3,000 rounds through the 1301 Comp. and 70,000 rounds plus through the A-390 without a single malfunction. As a side note, I'm very particular with keeping all of my equipment clean and properly maintained.

The key to good shooting with a shotgun is proper fit and practice. When you shoulder and shoot the gun it should seamlessly shoot where you are looking. Find one that fits you well and that you can afford, then shoot it a bunch.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.