Looking for my first scope

Leave me alone

Just had a custom 6.5 Creedmoor built and was looking for a good scope under $1,000 and saw the Toric 3-15 x42 at a sport show and was wondering if anyone has used this brand of scope

Don't know about tract..I used one on a gun in Kyrgyzstan it was ok...it was missing a cover for the illumination cover but it was clear...it was heavy as it was on a fairly light rifle and the rifle was heavy--i would say 30-40 oz...for under $600 the Bushnell forge scopes are nice...by far not the best--but very serviceable...and on sale...the Bushnell LRTS scopes are always a hit..dial good-- glass is on the better side of OK,and around 26 oz...i have a couple Riton Optics...they are OK not glowing reports as they have a little bit of toilet roll tube sight picture--but the glass is clear and the Mod 7 tracts good...right now you can find the old models for $550-$900...I sure am no vortex fan boy but a Viper PST can be had for right under 1,000 and they are serviceable. I have some Maven stuff and sure would like to try their RS3..it is a bit on the portly side--and a bit expensive at 1,600 but their RS1 is a lot of scope for the money and can be had with a turret for around 1,200 and it is a nice 26 oz with good glass... there are a host of new Optics ARKEN, Primary Arms,Athlon, etc that have different price points and reviews that tend to be good--heck I can barely keep up...I did play with a Althon Cronos a few months ago--good scope--glass was pretty uneventful, but seemed to track to the 600 yards we shot to...think the price was a bit more than 1k..but don't think it was that much more maybe 1,300 out the door...lots of stuff to look at out there...great to be a consumer these days.

Attachments

• IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
You asked for advice, I'll give my .02. You say first scope, I assume new to this game. I would steer clear of newer mfr's of scopes, and here is why. First, it is unproven, never be the first on the block. The 2nd and biggest reason is, the learning curve on optics is not as hard as caliber, cartridge, or rifle choices, but is far more challenging. OK, I know that is a contradicting statement, but most go through far more scopes than rifles. Today for me, I build around glass, not build and settle on optics.
Here is a solid used scope, great warranty, and good learning tool for a first timer. There are more newer optics for sale than newer rifles, reason for it. People are never happy.

6 pound rifle? 12 pound rifle? Purpose of rig? Twist rate, bullets? Just curious about what kind of outfit it is.

Just had a custom 6.5 Creedmoor built and was looking for a good scope under $1,000 and saw the Toric 3-15 x42 at a sport show and was wondering if anyone has used this brand of scope
take a look at the meopta optika 6 I have not yet but have heard some really good things about them for the price range

Have you looked into a fixed power optic? You'll get much more bang for buck since you're not paying for variable power. One of the fixed powers I really like is the SWFA 10x. It's fantastic.

Just received my scope, Picatinny rail and Eratac adjustable mount. I was reading the instructions, first time for everything, any way it said tighten the nuts holding the mount to the picatinny rail to 12Nm max. My wrench is in ft/lbs or in/lbs so I tried converting to inch pounds and came up with a rather large number so I did ft lbs and the number was more reasonable. Can some one please tell me what number they get when converting to inch lbs and ft lbs?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.