Looking for LRH Feature Article topic suggestions.

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
The new "Writers Needed For The Following Topics sub-forum has been wildly successful already after only a few weeks.

We posted 6 topics last month and already have assigned 6 writers as a result. The 5-25x56 version of the NF ATACR first focal plane scope was assigned but we still need a writer for the 4-16 power version.

So the purpose of this thread is to ask for ideas on more new articles at LRH.

And even if we don't move on your topic suggestion right away, we may grab onto it 6 months or a year later. So don't hesitate to make your suggestions.

Not sure if this has been covered yet or not SFP vs FFP for a long range hunting scope.
* advantages of SFP
* weaknesses of SFP
* advantages of FFP
* weaknesses of FFP
* low light conditions in timber vs open country

Things like that.

I would think an article on 'non-LR'-type calibers being used for long range hunting/targets would be interesting. How would the 30-30, 30/40 Krag, 358 win do out at say, 500-750 yards? How much drop, windage, energy etc would be there. We can all crunch the numbers but some real-world experiments would be interesting.

Not everyone shoots the latest 338 whizz-bang!

With the 30 caliber being one of the most versatile calibers for Long Range Hunting for a variety of different species, I'd be interested in an article that breaks down the pro's and con's of some of the newer entrants (ie - 300 Norma Mag, 30 Nosler, 30 RSAUM, etc.) vs. some of the oldie but goodies (300 Win Mag, 30-06, 300 Wby Mag, etc.)......not a debate on which is better, rather break down of the pros and cons of each, along with which may be better suited for different applications.

Maybe it's already been done, but it would be great to see a LRH Feature Article summarizing all of the custom actions that are being used on custom rifles. I know you can get tons of great info on this topic using the search function, but a single source article would be great for comparing the various features so that the reader can get unbiased information and compare options to help make a decision.

The same article could written for custom barrels, stocks and triggers.

Couple things that come to mind that might be helpfull to people trying to get into the sport

Critical steps in hand loading that go beyond just loading ammo to book values.

Using cartridges that arent thought of as LR cartridges for LR

Of course one of my favorite subjects, Bear Hunting.

Big Bore rifles

I'm not sure if it's just me or weather others would also like to read about some technical
aspects of gunsmithing explained in detail as well as the DIY side of things.
I am interested in the metalwork/enginering as well as stock making and woodwork.

+1 on Trucraft's idea.

For me: Best bedding system when doing a backpacking hike. My back is getting old, I'm always looking for the best way to get a good night's sleep.

Since our sport is always looking for new members how about an article on what it takes to get into the sport? A chambering with decent ballistics, a scope that provides good tracking, an acceptable trigger, solid stock and a rangefinder to get out to at least 1000 yards and maybe the phone apps to get shooting solutions. It doesn't really take $10,000 to get up and going, just a few basic tools. I have tried to talk to people about it and they usually get scared by the money they think it takes. At the end you could even show what a top-end setup looks like, featuring products that you sell right here on this site. It would give an opportunity to show the basics and then show what a LRR, G7BR2, Nightforce and Atlas looks like for a first-class rig.

Just my suggestion

Since our sport is always looking for new members how about an article on what it takes to get into the sport? A chambering with decent ballistics, a scope that provides good tracking, an acceptable trigger, solid stock and a rangefinder to get out to at least 1000 yards and maybe the phone apps to get shooting solutions. It doesn't really take $10,000 to get up and going, just a few basic tools. I have tried to talk to people about it and they usually get scared by the money they think it takes. At the end you could even show what a top-end setup looks like, featuring products that you sell right here on this site. It would give an opportunity to show the basics and then show what a LRR, G7BR2, Nightforce and Atlas looks like for a first-class rig.

Just my suggestion

Nice idea.
Might be worth adding how far you can go with a $500 off the shelf rifle and where a $4000 custom is able to show it worth.

I've always came to this site as a go to when I'm looking for information about many aspects of shooting. Time has improved so many of the things we use/need to enjoy our hunting and shooting of all kinds there is always something catching our interest in a little bit of everything. I have noticed there is a lot more people showing great interest in Blackpowder whether it be in the gun types or the types of powders especially since blackhorn 209 to some of the more choices of bullets for blackpowder be it regular bullets/sabots/types of sabots and their different colors the type bullet whether plastic tipped or hollow point or soft point and lastly the weight bullet to use for what application. I think some more new articles about some of these would be of interest to some that already use blackpowder or just getting started. Thanks for listening!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.