looking for load data for the 300 rem ultra mag and 130gr barnes

Dr. John

I am currently looking for load data for my 300 RUM and the Barnes triple X 130gr bullet. I currenly use H-1000 powder for all my ultra mag loads but am open to any new suggestions. thanks

I don't use an ultra mag, but looking at the nosler loading manual it states "We (Nosler) were suprised by the near bench-rest accuracy when using 4350 with lighter bullets". Well, there you go. I would try H4350 and H4831. What does the newest barnes manual show as the accuracy powders with 130 grain bullets?

Barnes says to use data for their normal boattails but you might be able to go a tad higher. In their load manual they actually show H1000 as a preferred accuracy powder and they list 97.0 as a start and 102.0 as a max. They also list RL25 at 98.0 start and 103.0 max. And lastly H4831 with a start of 87.0 and a max of 92.0. These are the preferred powders. That H1000 load is supposed to top out at 3701fps. The RL25 at 3860fps. and the H4831 load at 3693. Let us know how it works. I'm interested in seeing how it does in my 30-378!! I would say if you've worked with any 125's or seen data for the gun it would be pretty much interchangeable data escpecially if you start about midway between min and max loads. These are my opinions and your mileage may vary.

I currently shoot 190 & 220gr matchkings. I am just looking for the flattest possible shooter out to about 400 yards. the 130gr should do it and I could also use it for hunting anything up to whitetail if needed. I have always loved the ballistic tip, however the 125gr is not designed for anything except for varmint, especially at that speed.

How big are your whitetails? A big one around here is 175 lbs. I used the 125 grain Nosler BT out of a 300 RUM to hunt them this year. I shot one @ 450 yards and the bullet passed through easily. The deer only ran about 40 yards and fell over dead. I didn't get a chance to try them @ close range but I doubt if it would exit anywhere this side of 100 yards. It really shoudn't matter though. If you dump that much energy into a 150 lb deer I don't think there will be any tracking.

this is not from experience, but, when I contacted Nosler for load data for the 125 BT, they told me that at the 300 RUM velocity the bullet would act more like a varmint load and just blow apart. If anyone has had good results with this bullet/cartridge combo I would definitely start load work ups. I have always had good luck with accuracy using the BT. and the price is right.

As long as your aren't over 175-200 lbs I think you will be OK. I would only be concerned about a close shoulder shot. As the velocity slows downrange, the penetration should be adequate. Even if you don't pass thru, dumping 4000 lbs of energy into that small of an animal is bound to be devastating.

I will say that I've only been able to get around 1 MOA (+ or - 1/4 MOA) accuracy out of my SAKO 75 w/them. This week I plan to work up some loads with some heavier bullets, including some of the famed Wildcat bullets, to see if I can't get a little better accuracy.

Try RL 22, it gave me the best velocity (3940 fps) and accuracy. IMR 7828 was real dissapointment on velocity. Only got about 3600 fps out of it.

MY 30-378 is a sako TRG. I wish I knew the 300 rum was around the corner when I bought it. The gun was pretty cheap brand new at about $600--much less than a weatherby but it has a very small recoil lug and it is pretty finicky about what I feed it. It seems to like 150 grain and under bullets. I have run the 125 ballistic tip at about 3700fps with great accuracy out to 400 yds. THAT BEING SAID I would never use the ballistic tip for hunting when the 130 tsx is out there. I would highly recomend you try both bullets---use the ballistic tip for plinking--maybe get them cheap as 2nds from noslers pro shop. Then go hunting with the tsx. The tsx will simply to the job from any angle.....through any deer bone......front to back. The tsx should also have a higher coefficient--probably considerable higher to keep you flatter. If that trophy of a lifetime turns it's rear to you and heads off to the wild blue yonder a texas heart shot with a tsx is not going to be a problem. I would not hesitate to use the 130 tsx on bigger game like elk either. I shot a 6x6 with my 30-378 a few years back with a 150 barnes bt. After practicing at 300 yds and doing the trajectory tables my elk walked out at.....80 yds. I got him quartering away with a muzzle velocity of 3700 fps. Bullet entered behind the ribs--travelled about 3' up and exited through the off shoulder and then kept going. The off shoulder was absolutely mush. There was almost no bloodshot meat and the elk piled up without another step. I can't believe the pedals of the x-bullet would have stayed intact that that speed but I guess pushing a blunt pencil sized object through something at about 3600 fps is gonna get the job done. When it comes to high speed I'm a barnes lover.
Enough said...thanks for lending an ear.\

one question. does the TSX bullet need to be seated out so it is close to the lands or can it be loaded deeper into the case. at 130gr, there is not much to play with.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.