Looking for lightweight/tactical scope for precision AR build, March vs NF

jackal2001

New to the forum, so hello all. In doing research on optics, there was a lot of valuable info which I found coming from these forums, so I'd figured I ask a more direct question, specifically AR-15s in 223.
Where I live, I don't have easy access to long distance shooting, so most of my time behind a rifle is between 100-300 yards. I have built various ARs over there years, MK12MOD0s, Other Mid Range guns, etc., SBRd/Suppressed, etc. Most of them have been other types of ARs that have red dots etc. I have time behind NF NXS and Leupold Mark 4 Tactical.
I'm currently building a Proof CF 16" barrel AR15 in a SLR billet receiver set. I'm looking for glass under/around $2500, and would like something in the 3-20 power range with illumination. Trying to keep it as light as possible. I was originally leaning toward another NF, but in doing research, this is what I found.
NX8 2.5x20x50 Stay away from. Some issues which were not present on the NX8 4-32.
NX8 4x32x50 so that would be a better choice, maybe because of the longer tube over the 2.5x20x50. Still heavy at 28oz.
ATACR 4x16x42. Haven't heard of any issues but heavy at 30oz.
March D24V42FIMA 3x24x42. Very limited info, hardly no videos on youtube. Read a few glowing reviews here on the forums of their optics. Lightest of the others mentioned at 22oz.
Others I looked at were at or above 30oz and/or were more expensive.

So for now I'm trying to find as much as I can about the March optics and I think it would be a good choice for my build. Looking for comments on other optics I may not have heard about or maybe comments about March, etc. Thoughts?

welcome to the forum, lots of good info here. just don't ask any questions about the 6.5 creedmoor and you'll get along well with everyone 😆

i've built numerous AR's over the years in various calibers. i've got some with red dots, some with scopes and some with prism type scopes (acog, burris 332, etc). the last few years my prefence for almost any AR has been LPVO. you dont need 20x magnification scopes for a .223 in my opinion, especially if your max distance is 300 yards. if i had a $2500 budget for an AR optic, i'd be looking at a NF 1-8x or a vortex 1-10x or 1-6x razor. i have 2 of the lower end vortex strike eagles on 2 builds and the glass is very clear for what they cost (~$300 give or take). i would expect the razor models to be even better.

I'm getting up there in age, 47, and my eyes are going to cr@p, hello bifocals in a year or so. LOL. I really enjoy shooting for precision with my MK12MOD0, trying to shoot as best groups I can, which is always around .55 MOA. That is only a 10x max mag, and I would like a bit more magnification. Granted I probably won't need 20x+ but I would like something with a little more than 8x.

I purchased a Burris Signature 8-32X for shooting squeaks. They are like prairie dogs except a huge one is only 8" tall and every active . I found 20X was perfect for shooting these little bugurs.

March glass beats the NXS and 1st gen ATACR glass, is much lighter, and more compact especially the turrets. I have never had a problem with any of my NF scopes and would give them a plus in durability at the cost of added weight. The zoom range on the March is a plus. You won't go wrong with either one as they both have great resale value.

Recent Posts