Looking for large rifle magnum primers.

I went to the BIG Harrisburg Gun show this past Saturday!! No dealers, No Distributors and a few Gun Shops. No Win or Rem or Nosler or Federal Brass. One guy at a table happened to have 4 packets of Federal 215. So I bought them !! In the entire Gun show, only One guy with 4 packets of rifle primers. No Nosler Bullets ; Very Little Powder. The show as disappointing to say the least . Lots of AR stuff, but I'm just not interested in that stuff. Great place to buy Hunting Socks and Beef Jerkey or old Japanese WW2 Rifles. So if the factories are working 24 / 7 to get product out the door, and there is nothing a regional gun shows, and very little on Midway and Brownells and Mid South, Where the hell is going????

A lot of it is getting sold privately. I know there's guys around here scalping ammo and components. Some of them own gun shops. They sell it privately for double to triple the price. I had a scalper contact me about some ammo here locally, after I learned of his crap, I gave the ammo away to a guy who truly needed it.
Just gave it to him. I hate seeing this, a lot of my buddies just shot up all their ammo every weekend the last few years because !!Complacency!!
While they were shooting I was buying and stuffing brass, because I know powder and primers store better when stuffed in brass.
I still shot, but it was probably like 25% of the components being used, 75% of it went to storage. I don't see it getting better long term, you'll see it pop up, but people are in the hoard mindset now.

I went to the BIG Harrisburg Gun show this past Saturday!! No dealers, No Distributors and a few Gun Shops. No Win or Rem or Nosler or Federal Brass. One guy at a table happened to have 4 packets of Federal 215. So I bought them !! In the entire Gun show, only One guy with 4 packets of rifle primers. No Nosler Bullets ; Very Little Powder. The show as disappointing to say the least . Lots of AR stuff, but I'm just not interested in that stuff. Great place to buy Hunting Socks and Beef Jerkey or old Japanese WW2 Rifles. So if the factories are working 24 / 7 to get product out the door, and there is nothing a regional gun shows, and very little on Midway and Brownells and Mid South, Where the hell is going????
My guess,Government Contracts.

I think they're using the majority of it. I know I read or watched something from Federal(I think) saying they were making as much as they could but at the same time they're selling the majority of it as ammo and sending only the excess primers and brass out for reloaders. With the increase in gun sales over the last couple of years I can imagine an increased need for more ammo on shelves. Seems like they're possibly making more money selling it all as loaded ammo than components. I know when the new Scheels here in Missoula opened they were full with ammo and components, unfortunately(kind of) I got there just before they closed the door on their grand opening weekend. It ended up being nice because I still picked up some SPP that I had been needing and they weren't stuffed with people.

I guess what is confusing is that I have been to several Bass Pro Shops two Cabelas shelves are bare. On Midway and Brownells every week, back orders ( Notify me ) and often on Mid South same thing, nothing in stock, back orders . On the way back from the Harrisburg gun show, we stopped at the Cabela's in Hamburg., Pa. I had friends just looking for 30-06 or 300 RUM ammo. The clerk just laughed !!! Nothing!!!!

For your buddy. This isn't bad considering the times they are a changin

I guess what is confusing is that I have been to several Bass Pro Shops two Cabelas shelves are bare. On Midway and Brownells every week, back orders ( Notify me ) and often on Mid South same thing, nothing in stock, back orders . On the way back from the Harrisburg gun show, we stopped at the Cabela's in Hamburg., Pa. I had friends just looking for 30-06 or 300 RUM ammo. The clerk just laughed !!! Nothing!!!!
I know I had been finding some primers at Cabela's and some other similar stores randomly and occasionally. I haven't been to look lately, but when I was able to stop by a couple of times per week I'd end up getting lucky once a month or more. Powder was the same way, once in a while I'd find what I was looking for, I've actually been pretty fortunate with powders, thank goodness because buying new guns means I'm needing new powders. I've had plenty of primers until I got some new handguns and then I was scurrying looking for pistol primers. Now I'm down to 100 LPM primers for my 44 Mag and I'll have to start looking again. Persistence has paid off for me and finding components hasn't been impossible, sure isn't like it was a few years ago. I know if this ever stops or slows down I'll buy cases of primers because I really don't like the feeling of not having and needing. On that same note it seems like manufacturers are spending more time and money loading for stuff they think will sell more, 9mm, 223, 308, stuff like that, so finding magnum rifle stuff has been next to impossible.

Recent Posts