Looking for input on 338 RUM build

littlegunny22

I have an idea that once I start this I will have several comments and questions as to why I am not building a Lapua or Edge or Edge+P. And I have considered those options, however my budget will not afford as much shooting with the Lapua. And although I like all I have read about the Edge and Edge+P, I feel the RUM will do everything I want it to do. I don't plan on pursuing ELR hunting and will probably do very little LR hunting as most of my hunting is done in the coast range of Oregon where the longest shots on average are 200-300 yards or less. I do enjoy shooting tight groups on paper at longer ranges and varmint shooting out to 500-600 yards or more. Not to mention that I have trued and blue printed a factory 700 in 338 Rum with a new barrel I chambered for a friend and watched him shoot a 4" group at 700 yards. Conditions were good but he is not a great shooter. So my mind is made up but if you have input that will help based on the RUM build it is appreciated.

I have already ordered the Deviant Tactical action from Norm at Defiance Machine. I am planning on building this gun to shoot 300 grain Berger VLD's. I have been trying to determine which barrel and which twist rate based on that bullet and avg. RUM velocities. Everything I read tells me a 1-10 twist or faster is what will work best for this bullet. As for barrels I am considering Brux, Bartlien or Krieger. I have liked what I hear and read about Brux and how they make their barrels as well as the 6 groove on the 338 barrels as aposed to 4. I want a heavy contour barrel as I'm not going to be packing this gun through the woods much if at all. I will probably go with a HS Presision stock with Aluminium block bedding or pillar bed as well as free float the barrel and use a Jewell trigger of course. If any of you have experience with building RUM's or shooting them with the Berger bullet I would love to hear about your experiences and results based on fact and good data. Thanks, littlegunny22

Nothing at all wrong with the 338 RUM. However my experience is that the Lapua is cheaper to shoot than anything you mentioned based solely on the quality of the brass. If you are going to use a custom action, the only real difference is the brass. The Lapua brass will cost about twice as much per piece as the RUM or Edge but it will last maybe 5 times longer or even more. I'm currently shooting a batch of 338 Lapua with about 15 reloads and it is still going strong. Not to mention the consistency is far superior to any other. My 338 Edge gets 3-4 loadings with Rem brass plus the RUM brass is extremely hard to find now. Just my thoughts.

I've done 7 of the kind of rifles your looking at, 338 RUM on custom or Remington actions, Brux Med palma 1-10 twist at 28 inches or #5 at 26 inches. All have been just easy to load and shoot, very accurate, good on brass and feed very well. Standard reamer works very well for both the 300 and 250 Bergers and you can pick up ammo for it at quite a few places if needed. I built either the 338 RUM or the 338 Lapua but each is best suited to different applications.

I assume your using Lapua brass. I have to agree it is the best quality and is very consistent in weight and dimensions from one to the next. I use it in my 308 target rifle and love it. I have also had good case life with Norma brass in some of my guns including a 338 Win Mag I have. Have you had any experience with Norma brass in the Lapua or RUM? By the way I thought my mind was made up now you have me reconsidering. Brass life was a component I had not considered. Thanks for the info but not for making me indecisive again. Damit I do appreciate it I think.

Sorry I forgot to clarify that point. Yes I am referring to Lapua brand brass. I didn't need two big 338 rifles but I got frustrated with the Rem brass in my 338 Edge. Tremendous weight differences between casings so after sorting and setting most aside as too inconsistent I would be discarding the ones I chose to use after 3-4 firings. Just when I was getting somewhere I would have to start over with new brass so I got a Stiller TAC 338 and a Brux and had the 338Lapua built. Couldn't be happier and I'll take the Edge along as a backup rifle. I have used some Nosler brass and it is much better than the Rem but still not Lapua quality. Have some Norma on the way but haven't seen it yet.

Well I guess I have some things to consider and need to contact a few friends to see what brass they are using in their RUM's to see if they have had similar results or if they have found good brass to use. I guess if I am going to make the switch to the Lapua I'm either going to have to get in touch with Defiance to change the bolt face diameter or I'll have to open it up when it gets here. My preference would be to have it ready to go as I get it from Defiance. Sounds like your happy with your Brux barrel as is everyone else I've spoken too that has one or more. So I guess that is going to be the Brand. I did change my mind on the stock and decided to go with Manners. Whether it ends up being the Lapua or the RUM it should be a shooter and do everything I need it to do. I do seriously appreciate the input as brass life is an important component that I had not considered but will make a difference in the overall cost of shooting it. Have a great day and a great hunting season.

The Lapua and the Rum's are my bread and butter. The Lapua is far more popular not only for the brass quality but availability. Rum brass can be very hard if not impossible to find.

For the barrel, the choice is simple. My go to, never fail barrel is the Bartlein 5R in 9.5 twist. A distant second choice is Krieger. No one comes close to Bartlein's tolerances.

If your determined to have a button rifled barrel; believe it or not, PacNor is my first choice. My personal Tac338 Lapua wears a 30" in 5R 9.5 twist in my own custom profile. You would swear that rifles bullets are self guided. With the Adj A5 and 32x scope it weighs 15 pounds even. The Lapua gets 2960 fps with the Berger 300. If that barrel ever gives up it will get a Bartlein.

When planning my 338 build, I looked at what cartridge gives the best efficiency and accuracy. If your are doing a custom build I would think you could afford to shoot any cartridge design you want. If you reload, then that's a double plus to whatever one you want.

Agreed jrock. I think any of the 338's have great potential and will do well for my needs. And yes the Lapua and Edge have slightly faster velocity potential and range over the RUM. However the RUM will do everything I will need of it and I already have several friends that shoot the RUM and have reloaded for it with excellent results. I do reload as well and shoot allot of different guns and reload for all of them. If this was my only firearm cost would not be as big of an issue and although it is not a big issue it is a consideration. I'm one of those guys that likes to have allot of ammo for all my guns. And when I am looking for 1,000 plus rounds of ammo for this gun too, it comes into play for a guy with my wallet size. After talking to a few more folks I have decided to go with the RUM, but would still like to get feedback on barrel and stock options or choices. I am leaning toward the Brux 6 groove, but have not used Brux yet. I like what I hear and read but would welcome more testimonials on the Brux or others. Also considering a Maners stock which would be new for me as I have either used McMillan or HS Pres. In the past. So input on stocks is also appreciated. I am sincere in wanting input. I'm not one of these guys that is on here knowing what I'm going to do anyway and discard any input. I truly feel that the most educated people can learn some great things from even those that are not so educated if they just open their ears. Not saying that I am highly educated but just saying that I think anyone can have good information or input based on fact or experience that can assist an other individual regardless of smarts of either person. So that being said please continue with any info on barrels and stocks. Especially your experiences with Brux or Manners. Thanks, Littlegunny22

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Hired gun. Especially on PacNor and Bartlien as well as twist rate and performance of the Berger in that set up. Not sure if this is also Gordy. If it is I will take this info to heart as I have with all I've learned from your videos. I wouldn't have been able to build some of the truly accurate guns I have without those videos. If it is you thanks for being so willing to share your knowledge. God knows the industry could use it. There are a bunch of hack smiths out there that could benefit from this knowledge. I guess most of them know it all already, but when you know it all you stop learning. I'm one of those guys that like to learn something new every day. If it isn't Gordy I still appreciate the info and input.

I agree about Lapua being cheaper in the long run. I made some 338 edge brass just like the other poster and saw the same thing.

Didn't last and my buddy only got 4 firings out of each of the 50 I had made (and not all of them were perfect. It took two brass to get the die just right.)

After they were fire formed, they saw one firing in load development and got about 2 more firings after that. For a guy just learning to shoot long ranges, it was a failed project. Pretty rifle... Very expensive to shoot.

I don't want to discourage you from it, but I am toying with a .338 project and am leaning towards Lapua for that same reason. Not to mention the freakin edge dies are rediculous expensive!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts