Looking for Input New Tikka T3 Superlite in 300 Win Mag

Morning all. While I have been hunting deer and elk in Oregon for 30-ish years, I am not a hard-core hunter or shooter (I work too much); I like to say that I'm smart enough to know what I don't know. Current gun is a .280 Remington with a decent Leupold 3x9x40 up top. I wanted more ammo options and to be able to comfortably reach 500+ yards, and just ordered a Tikka T3 Superlite in 300 win mag. I've done a fair amount of reading - including on this website - looking for tips on what on the gun I should upgrade/modify. The recc's include r/ring: trigger guard ("bottom metal"); the plastic bolt shroud; recoil block; recoil pad. Bolt fluting is recc'd by some. Replacement recoil pads recc'd include Pachmayer Decelerator and Limb Saver. Haven't purchased the scope yet but looking hard at a Zeiss Conquest V4. Would also appreciate recc's on how best to mount (picatinny rail or .....?). Some replace the thin factory stock while others have partially filled it with foam.

Thanks in advance for all experienced feedback.

Welcome. I use Tally rings on my tikka they work great. a pic rail would also work just depending on your preference

If it is a t3x, it already has a metal bolt shroud and steel recoil lug.

The stock is fantastic for a synthetic factory stock. Some people free float them and some don't.

I think the replacement recoil pad go to is typically limbsaver airtech 10826 (I think that's the number, but you'd want to double check).

Shoot it first and go from there. I have a Tikka T3 Varmint model that feels and shoots great. I did end up putting a Pic rail on top so i could have more options in the scope ring department. I went with the EGW HD model. Don't get their inexpensive version.

Congrats on your order, coworker just picked up the same gun in .300WM and I got one in 6.5CM which will soon be rechambered to 6.5x284. He went with Leupold Backcountry mounts and is scoping his with a VX5 3-15x44 while mine will have a Mountain Tactical rail w/recoil lug under a VX-2 3-9x40 CDS. One upgrade I'm adding is a soft touch vertical grip hoping it will help when my wife is packing it to move her hand a little closer to the trigger. He's planning on shooting it and then deciding on a brake or not, which will most likely be done by Wayne York from Pendelton.

While your coal will be limited by the factory mag and overall action design, it will make a fine hunting rifle. The 1:11 twist rate limits the bullet length a bit anyway. So you are best sticking with 180- 200 grain bullets.
I'd be building a load for the 178 absolute hammer bullet myself if that was my rifle. A brake will tame the recoil hugely if your willing to always put ear pro in..

While your coal will be limited by the factory mag and overall action design, it will make a fine hunting rifle. The 1:11 twist rate limits the bullet length a bit anyway. So you are best sticking with 180- 200 grain bullets.
I'd be building a load for the 178 absolute hammer bullet myself if that was my rifle. A brake will tame the recoil hugely if your willing to always put ear pro in..
Thanks. I thought about also asking for input on ammo (store bought - for now) but didn't want to ask too many questions at one time. I definitely need to figure out whether there is ammo best suited for 1:11 twist; plan to research that when I can set aside some time. I was figuring 170 - 185 grain was the right neighborhood.

The Hornady precision hunter ammo with the 200eldx is worth a try. Shoots well in a few tikkas I know. Soft bullet made for longer ranges so try not to shoot shoulders n stuff. Might not find any for a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.