Looking for info on southern Oregon

DCAN

Looking to find out about hog hunting in southern Or. Killed my first one near Prineville in about 1985, but that herd is long gone now. Any help would be great.

Oregon is very aggressive in eradicating wild pigs. It is a felony to sell a pig hunt in Oregon. And state law requires land owners to have an approved plan to eradicate wild pigs if on private property. There are a few pockets around the state but very few and all on private property. Very little opportunity in Oregon to hunt them.

Some locals in southwestern coos went to redbluff and transported some back in a horse trailer...ranchers were very ****ed off about it but wouldn't turn them in...
I heard of a herd just a ways further north of Pineville and a little east...a few years ago...they were in the mountains...
Oh yeah...a guy I know went after some just south of rogue river at gold beach...have to access thru private to get to those..pistolriver area...got to say you are looking for your hounds or they won't let you thru....the people at the ranch are caretakers for a land baron...locked up more access to forest service....

Last edited:
Some locals in southwestern coos went to redbluff and transported some back in a horse trailer...ranchers were very posses off about it but wouldn't turn them in...
I heard of a herd just a ways further north of Pineville and a little east...a few years ago...they were in the mountains...
Oh yeah...a guy I know went after some just south of rogue river at gold beach...have to access thru private to get to those..pistolriver area...got to say you are looking for your hounds or they won't let you thru....the people at the ranch are caretakers for a land baron...locked up more access to forest service....
I think I know right where you are talking about near the Pistol River. Thank you. Gives me a starting point.
Love the Gold Beach, lower Rogue area. Nothing beats a ride up the river in August. Air smells like a hot Blackberry pie, bears on the river banks, rocks just below the water waiting to add a few dents to the boat. Eating the morning hatch when I don''t keep my mouth shut. Spending life in water sandals, a t-shirt and shorts. No cell coverage. Good times. Dang, won't be able to think of anything else for the rest of the day. Guess I'll go sort through the camp gear and dream..... now where did I put those sandals.......

If you travel up the rogue you won't find pistol river...south a ways and runs into the ocean....
Had many family reunions there....monster cutthroat trout in the little river....unless they are landlocked steelhead....I just didnt see enough aquatic critters in there to feed fish that big....I wanted to grab a pitchfork and gettem....but my great aunt threatened to use it on me...............my grandfather homesteaded on Hunters Creek...
he owned a fish store in Gold Beach after he returned from WW1...
Bull elk got in his garden once.........once.....then it ended up in his icecave..........bet it was delicious.....

Oregon is very aggressive in eradicating wild pigs. It is a felony to sell a pig hunt in Oregon. And state law requires land owners to have an approved plan to eradicate wild pigs if on private property. There are a few pockets around the state but very few and all on private property. Very little opportunity in Oregon to hunt them.
I was thinking of helping in the eradicating. The one I killed all those years ago was in the Prineville area, on private property. Guided archery hunt in the snow. Best pork I have ever eaten. What little I was able to eat. The freezer was unplugged by the (X) wife while I was over in Joseph working. Came home weeks later to a bit of a mess.

If you travel up the rogue you won't find pistol river...south a ways and runs into the ocean....
Had many family reunions there....monster cutthroat trout in the little river....unless they are landlocked steelhead....I just didnt see enough aquatic critters in there to feed fish that big....I wanted to grab a pitchfork and gettem....but my great aunt threatened to use it on me...............my grandfather homesteaded on Hunters Creek...
he owned a fish store in Gold Beach after he returned from WW1...
Bull elk got in his garden once.........once.....then it ended up in his icecave..........bet it was delicious.....
Is there a big herd of horses on or near the Pistol River property? I've wandered around the Pistol River a little. Mostly Hunter Creek and the Rogue.
I've been seeing more and more tweaker sign on Hunter Creek the last few years. Used to swim with my daughter by a bridge up the creek. Until it turned into a trash/human waste dump.

Dcan...can't say I have ever seen other than the Hunters Creek signage....grandpa sold the fish market and went back to building...while still living on HC he walked up to the rogue, ferried across then hiked up to port orford or langlois and went up over the hill and over to dement creek (which used to be a county road) and into Myrtle Point...worked for two or three weeks and hiked back home...that's how he worked for years..not even a horse....and the coast roads were still dirt....finally moved from HC to MP...and he raised the kids(8) out of there...and some left some stayed...but the cousins at Pistol River remained there....but few of them left anymore..Mom has been outliving all her generation of kin..but I think she sees her end coming......beautiful area down there...
Can't remember any horses...unless they were at the front of Pistol River..nearer the hwy....

And tweekers are everywhere these days.....
Had a job two years ago...renters in place next door crawling out windows and getting on the roof of a business I was working for......left all kinds of drug crap on the roof...had to watch out for syringes and broken needles all over....
Be better if they just offed themselves...with a hairdryer....

I have not personally seen them, but have been told by people I trust there are pigs on the south edge of the Soda Mt wilderness. Jenny Cr area. I have seen pigs around Irongate and Copco in Ca. Thats just a couple miles away.

Gwine...that must be a connected road from southern oregon...that part of the "strawberry wilderness"?...
But on another note....
There was at one time a hunting organization that had land out of myrtle point to hunt exotics on....can't rightly recall the name...but I know the area....private property mixed in with logging company...
Don't know if it still in operation but you never know what you might encounter in that area....mouflon sheep, auodad, axis and I think fallow deer....worth looking for info...
Had been talking to a bow shop owner when he was telling me about this operation..he was heading out in a few hours to get an evening hunt...didn't feel right not giving him the name of the landowners....and he thought he was sneaking one past me.......dear ol' John.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.