Looking for info about quick load.

WildBillG

I have read here that a lot of you use Quick Load. I would like to know a little more about it. Can you actually work up loads for any cartridge bullet powder combo. How did you get it as the version I found will not ship to Canada or theU.S. Any other info about it would be a big help.

https://neconos.com/

Honestly, I trust the data I create and obtain out of my rifle.

I wouldn't dream of creating a load in QL and just firing it in any of my guns. I've seen the data has been far enough off to create problems. I always start a little low and work up a powder ladder, then input all my load parameters and adjust QL until velocities all closely match for the amount of powder used, then and only then do I feel comfortable using it to estimate velocities and pressures.

There are those that may know more about this than I do, and it may very well be safe for them to do things the way they do, I can only speak to what I consider safe for me, and this is it.

Gotcha but it will give you an idea if a powder will work in a given cartridge. As I have seen guys post loads in the 257Wby using RL 33. To my knowledge there are no reloading manuals using RL 33 in the 257Wby. This is what I am wondering if can do and how much more.

Read one of the review articles on accurate shooter.

I have found it to be quite good.

The more accurate the data in, the more accurate the information out.

They do an annual update so if your on latest and greatest predominantly, you may find it does'nt have what you require.

My opinion. Other's mileage may vary.

Gotcha but it will give you an idea if a powder will work in a given cartridge. As I have seen guys post loads in the 257Wby using RL 33. To my knowledge there are no reloading manuals using RL 33 in the 257Wby. This is what I am wondering if can do and how much more.

It can give you a list of powders to use for a given cartridge, but I have not used it in that capacity. It can also give you powder weights and pressures in a table, but again, I haven't used it in that capacity.

When I wanted to try RL26 in my 264 Win Mag, there was no data available. I basically based my original load off the 7 Mag shooting a comparable weight bullet, started low and worked up.

The one thing I've found that skews the data in Quick Load is the default powder burn rate. It's one of the things I use to get the charge weight/velocity to line up. Any data based on accurate real world measurements using the default burn rate of the powders in QL is bound to be off, and likely to be different from rifle to rifle.
I realize this may not help you much, I'm pretty sure there are a few people on here that can answer your question though.

Quickload can be very accurate if you measure everything correctly, H20 valume of case, bullet seating depth etc... it is never 100% but within 10fps often.

Quickload can be very accurate if you measure everything correctly, H20 valume of case, bullet seating depth etc... it is never 100% but within 10fps often.

Not with the lots of powder I've been getting and in my rifles. All my measurements are precise, and I still have to Jack with powder Ba to bring velocity in with charge weight. Now once I do that, it's accurate.
For example, if I were to use a QL load without first working it up in my rifle with the powder I'm using, H1000 for example, it'll tell me 77 gr is a safe load, when in fact, it is 2 gr over pressure in my rifle. And not just that rifle, lot of powder, lot of bullet, or lot of case, either.

Maybe there is a "trick" I am missing, I definitely do not profess to know everything about the program, I just know how to safely use it for my purposes and within my capabilities.

But that doesn't help the OP.

He's looking to confirm the viability of RL33 with his Weatherby.

You are kind of right wildcat. What I am wanting to know is can QL give a reloader information on powders not used in cartridges in common manuals. I used RL 33 as an example.
I have down loaded a free trial version RSI Shooting Lab to try and it does not seem to be able to do what I want. It was my belief that QL was a lot better product for what I am looking for.

WildBillG, I guess the short answer is that yes, you can get a list of powders that will perform within various parameters in a given cartridge. I've used it often. You can choose for example a 35 Whelen, shooting a 225 grain Nosler, and set up the parameters of say less than 100% fill (uncompressed) and greater than 85%; plus 60,000 PSI max chamber pressure; and it will generate a list of powders, plus the charge weights, that will get to that PSI, and give the muzzle velocities, % burn, etc. As wildcat455 said, though, it is best used to set up the bottom rounds for your ladder or OCW exercise. Once you have some actual performance data from your brass, rifle, and powder you can fine tune things like burn rate in the program and create a new file that you name something like "My Rem700 Whelen", and you can come back to it often. I have gotten QL to perform well within the SD for several cartridges after doing so. Another thing you can do is tune to an "optimal barrel time" (OBT) node because time to muzzle is one solution generated. I have for example an OBT spreadsheet in Excel for a 200 gr. Swift A-frame I was testing in my 300 WSM Tikka. It won't upload here, I guess this site wont accept .xlsx files, but it shows 47 powders that will hit that OBT node and remain below max pressures, under 100% charge, and over 83% charge, with the velocities, chamber pressures, burn % and muzzle pressure for each one.
The sheer number of variables you can fiddle with is a good and a bad thing; I spent several months just practicing with the program before I used it for real.
Look up some of Chris Long's papers for a discussion of how to fiddle with QL and the OBT method, he is really good.

DDB TX what you have just told me sounds like what I thought the program can do. This QL must be purchased from England and the cost is marked in Euro's am I right.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts