Looking for hunting land

It's more like MORE hunters on public land because all the private land is leased … definitely a Rich man's game
In my area I see less people hunting public lands. Located in my friends back yards. This is a couple different locations in PA. And license sales (quantity) went up a bit. So it seems to matter more on location I suppose. One place I should have taken advantage of but didn't. It's close to a lot of posted farming ground that would have been excellent hunting. I saw deer there almost daily passing thru to the posted grounds. Not sure why the low turnout this past season ? Because it usually has quite a few hunters. I did take notice at another location closer to the city that had quite a few hunters using it. So scouting is also important IMO. But as far as the last 50 years it has always been about who you know when it came to hunting in my area. People just try to be respectful of others ground.

Don't know what part of the state you hunt in but around here private land is leased … I've hunted the public land 35+ years and do quite well … some years I never see anyone during archery but gun season it's the orange army … I archery hunt only anymore just to avoid the crowds … gun season just isn't safe IMO

Are you aware of how many millions of acres of public hunting land is available in PA. Len?
My first year deer hunting was in 1947, and we drove a full day from where we lived to get to the NC part of the state.
Today that same trip is about 4.1/2 hours due to much better roads that bypass the towns.
We always had people asking why we traveled that far when the Pocono's were so close to home.
Even Bucks County where we lived was largely undeveloped with lots of game at that time.
But what happened to the Pocono's ?
Same as what happened to Bucks Co. and many of the other areas near the population hubs.
Where there is a will, there is usually always a way to do things.
The problem quite often comes down to mindset.
Meanwhile the hotels and motels in the areas having most of the public land are empty, or near empty, even on opening day.
Yes there are millions of acres of public but I prefer to see deer when I hunt … there are large tracts of public in this area that don't contain many deer … you can walk for hours and never see a rub or track even when there are acorns … I also avoid all the public in the CWD counties just not worth it to me … I have friends that have camps in Northern PA and hunt public there and see one or two deer the first week of gun … my hunting mindset is I'm in the woods to see and take deer …. I'm always looking for deer sign even while Turkey or pheasant or mushroom hunting, just hiking or walking to a native trout stream … As an old saddle hunter I put the time & mileage in and do quite well … my earlier comment still stands as a rich man's game especially out west …. Elk hunts around or over $10K, sheep for $40K or higher, Alaskan moose/brown bear/grizzly hunts $15-20K… most of the local private ground in many states and some public/govt land leased so a privileged few can hunt … just my thoughts

Don't know what part of the state you hunt in but around here private land is leased … I've hunted the public land 35+ years and do quite well … some years I never see anyone during archery but gun season it's the orange army … I archery hunt only anymore just to avoid the crowds … gun season just isn't safe IMO
Yes Archery is the best time to hunt IMO. If you have the means to process your deer. The weather is usually warm, early archery. That's mainly why I hunt at my friends, my backyard, my brothers & my Grandmas small farm. He has a walk in freezer. & deep freezer ( retired butcher). Which is within a half hour drive to all these places. There is some public land behind his sons, about a mile down the road from his home. Actually the one I was referring to, about taking advantage of. I'm in 5A district. You would be surprised how small some of these places are that I hunt. My home is a little over 2 acres = 1 stand. My brothers close to 3 acres = climber stand. My friends is around 10 acres consisting of 3 stands, Grandmothers is a 30 acre farm also 3 stands. But a lot of open fields with a R.R. & a few thickets. I let a lot of deer walk. I try to cull out the oldest if possible. I am close to the MD border. I could hunt there. Just don't like the extra fees for out of State license. And really no need to. But I have been invited to archery hunt a few farms. I could also hunt 5B & 5C districts in PA. Just no need, YET. If deer was not abundant I don't think they would be issuing 6 doe tags this year. This tells me the deer are not being harvested or reported like they should be.

You could easily fill the 6 doe tags a year on private ground here … all those extra deer tags do for public ground is decimate the deer herd … I see piles of deer in the fields on the way home from where I hunt all on leased private ground …. you would be hard pressed to find a deer on public after gun season … private ground is a privilege and I was fortunate to hunt a lot on it in the 80's but as land goes to different generations unfortunately so does it's use

Well there is no argument as to wether deer numbers have diminished in the NC region of Pa.
And there is also no doubt that the habits of the ones remaining have changed as well.
In the 60s and even the 70s you could take a ride on Rt 555 from Driftwood to Benezette which is about 20 miles, and see 50 or more deer in fields or even standing neer the road.
Rarely would you see a buck however, at least a decent one.
Today on that same trip you might see 50 Elk, but no deer at all.
We also today have the DCNR determining how many antlerless deer tags are issued in certain areas, and not the game commission. And if those tags are unsold by a certain date, then one person can buy more than one, im of the opinion, pretty much as many as they want.
For decades weve been told by the game commission that due to the ageing of the forest it can only support 2 deer per sq. mile.
But what about the Elk? Their numbers have increased drastically over the same time frame.
Also there is the coyote issue, which is no doubt a contributing factor in changing of deer habits as well as their numbers.
They have also become much more nocturnal than in past decades.
Couple those things along with the fact that there are less hunters at least during rifle season, and it all adds up to why less deer are being seen by hunters in that region.

Well there is no argument as to wether deer numbers have diminished in the NC region of Pa.
And there is also no doubt that the habits of the ones remaining have changed as well.
In the 60s and even the 70s you could take a ride on Rt 555 from Driftwood to Benezette which is about 20 miles, and see 50 or more deer in fields or even standing neer the road.
Rarely would you see a buck however, at least a decent one.
Today on that same trip you might see 50 Elk, but no deer at all.
We also today have the DCNR determining how many antlerless deer tags are issued in certain areas, and not the game commission. And if those tags are unsold by a certain date, then one person can buy more than one, im of the opinion, pretty much as many as they want.
For decades weve been told by the game commission that due to the ageing of the forest it can only support 2 deer per sq. mile.
But what about the Elk? Their numbers have increased drastically over the same time frame.
Also there is the coyote issue, which is no doubt a contributing factor in changing of deer habits as well as their numbers.
They have also become much more nocturnal than in past decades.
Couple those things along with the fact that there are less hunters at least during rifle season, and it all adds up to why less deer are being seen by hunters in that region.
Where there are Elk usually bear are there too. And they feast on deer also. Especially the fawns. Just curious how many bear do you see ? We never had any in my area, now we are seeing black bears. Even hunting them. Which in the 70s & 80s you had to go North. A lot of my friends had camps in Canada back then. Now no one can afford Canada.

I have friends who have a camp in NC Pa and they didn't even bother going up for gun season. I think M1A1ABRAMS is on the money about black bear and coyotes feasting on fawns. It doesn't help that the forest is too mature and there's not much cover for fawning.

I have friends who have a camp in NC Pa and they didn't even bother going up for gun season. I think M1A1ABRAMS is on the money about black bear and coyotes feasting on fawns. It doesn't help that the forest is too mature and there's not much cover for fawning.
My buddy had a game cam with a black bear carrying a fawn in its mouth. Right up the road from me. On the Md side of the line.