Looking for help in a premium scope

Rockfish Dave

Hello,

I am a big reader here but not much for posting. I am looking for advice or recommendations for a new scope.

I am having my first custom rifle built up for 260 REM. I will be using it as an affordable long range shooting platform (ammo wise).

(Simlar to this one).

The expected range is a 1000 meter known distance range and (hopefully) two practical tactical rifle competitions next year.

I am looking for a mil/mil FFP, variable power scope that offers the Horus reticule. I have done business with Horus Vision before and suffice to say it was PAINFUL and I will not be buying a scope from them, but they do have a great reticule.

Of particular interest are Premier Reticules Heritage scopes and the new Leopold MK4 M5 ER/T FFP.

I also don't know what power scope to get.

I have and am perfectly comfortable with a couple high power scopes that I currently have:

I.O.R. 4-14x50 30mm SF Tactical Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot
and
Bushnell Tactical Elite 6500 2.5-16x42mm

The one thing I wish I had was a Mil/Mil FFP rather than the Mil/MOA I.O.R. or the MOA/MOA of the Bushnell.

I practice with the Mildot Master and the Shooter Ready Simulation. I am much faster and comfortable with the Mil/Mil scope setup.

I don't know if something in the x20 upper range would be: Practical, Useful or justify the additional size and weight that goes with the higher magnification scopes.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

For 1000 yard F-class (and a a few deer, hogs and auodad) on a 308 Rem 40X comp rifle I use a Nightforce 5.5-22X with the 56mm objective. To be competitive at those ranges that is about the minimum power. You will not need the 56mm objective if you do not hunt with the rifle.

The NP-R1 is a very good reticle and will do anything anything you need done. FFP vs SFP choice is kind of like peeing on a hillside - it doesn't matter much as long as you don't face uphill or into the wind. :D

My 260 started life with a MK4 6.5-20x50. I recently acquired a 300RUM and move that scope over to the RUM. The 260 now wears a MK4 8.5-25x50. I went up in magnification because the primary use for the rifle is long-range and the extra 5x magnification is nice, but not necessary.

Both My MK4's have TMR reticles (subtended in .5 mils).

You can get MK4s with either FFP or SFP.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

I see that you have a +20x scope, when you shoot do you shoot at the max power range?

What power setting do you use the majority of the time?

I am curious because I want to know if it is something that I want or will want later.

Given the amount of coin that a PR or Leopold with the Horus H27 reticle I want to do it right the first time.

Last edited:
I see that you have a +20x scope, when you shoot do you shoot at the max power range?

What power setting do you use the majority of the time?

I am curious because I want to know if it is something that I want or will want later.

Given the amount of coin that a PR or Leopold with the Horus H27 reticle I want to do it right the first time.

It depends on the conditions. If the weather is cooperating and the mirage is not bad, I'll crank the scope to 25x. Alternatively, I was out shooting today and the mirage was terrible. Had to turn the magnification back to 15x to be able to see the target clearly.

With a long range rig, the extra magnification generally will not hurt you. You will never hear someone shooting long-range wish they had less magnification.

I have a Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20 and I love it. It has good glass, I like the tmr reticle and for the ranges I shoot - out to 1000yds, the magnification is perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts