Looking for guidance with 264 win mag and 156 Berger

MTsmith

I was working up a load for my Cooper Long Range Hunter in 264 win mag using 156 Berger and Retumbo before the Retumbo well went dry...
Can anyone give me any guidance as to other powders they've had success using this bullet and similar calibers?
Thank you for your help in advance...

IMR 8133 is right next to Retumbo on the burn rate chart and I've seen a lot of guys recommending it and using it in place of Retumbo.

I was working up a load for my Cooper Long Range Hunter in 264 win mag using 156 Berger and Retumbo before the Retumbo well went dry...
Can anyone give me any guidance as to other powders they've had success using this bullet and similar calibers?

You can call Berger directly and ask for their latest unpublished test results ...

Berger 156.JPG

UPDATE:

I spoke to Corey (sp?) from Berger Tech Support Team and as of 04/13/20, they have not done any actual testing but the following was provided to me based of what end users have told them and computer-generated (Quickload) safe loads:

Retumbo: 64.0 min - 67.5 max
H1000: 61.5 min - 64.6 max
RL25: 59.0 min - 62.3 max
IMR 7977: 59.5 min - 62.3 max
US869: 71.5 min - 75.0 max
50 BMG: 68 min - 71.6 max

He has the N565/N570 also but I don't have them so did not jot it down. As soon as actual testing is completed, it will be posted on their website.

I too have a .264 WM (26: 5R 1:7") and will be load developing soon with 156 Berger. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Ed

Last edited:

RL-33 works well with 140's but with that long 156 Berger and as deep as they would need to be seated because of the throating in SAAMI chambers, I doubt you can make it work. VV N570 would be a good choice.

H1000 won't give you the absolute best speeds, but consistency, accuracy, temp stability, and clean burning sure speak for themselves.
RL23 is a good choice too. A bit better speeds than H1000 too.
Maybe even RL26 depending on your hunting temps. I have found over 85* tends to show pressure on near top end loads.

I have used IMR 8133 in my 7mm LRM and my 6.5 PRC with very good results. One thing to understand about 8133 is it really fills the case well when you get up around the Max charges. Most of my loads that have shot good are compressed loads. Just sneak up to the more compact loads for safety. All rifles are different.

Norma 217 is another very good choice. Burn rate is slightly slower than Retumbo and it burns quite a bit cleaner. I've been using it in 6.5/06 and 264win for a couple of barrels now. I haven't loaded the 156g Berger yet, I am running the 160g Matrix in mine. I started with it at 64.0 Norma 217 and worked up.

Using H1000 I started at 60.0 grains. I started seeing pressure signs at 61.0 and heavy bolt lift at 61.5. Pressure started showing up around 2975 fps. I have a 26" 8 twist. I'm touching the lands. Group size isn't what I was hoping for but I haven't yet played with seating depth. I'll back up to 0.015" off and see what happens.

H1000 is the most accurate we've shot, but every rifle is different. Your situation is all the powders posted are very scarce or non-existent. Perhaps the Enduron's are second go to's.

I have pretty much settled on IMR 8133 for the 156's in my 264..66 grains gives me 2985 with excellent SD's and superb accuarcy.. I dabbled with Ramshot LRT for a while..It was almost 100 fps faster than 8133,but couldn't find any consistency with it..One group showed promise,then the next group would fall apart..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.