Looking for first pack.

I've had a few eberlestock packs but I keep using the main frame and started using their vapor 2500 bag on it. The frame is great for packing out heavy loads with the load shelf. Maybe consider the kifaru universal gun bearer as a lighter option than the eberle pouch. Had a team elk used it once sold it. Maybe it didn't fit me well enough but it was heavy and I didn't like the barrel sticking below my pack if I used the built in pocket. Still have a transformer but probably won't use it. But I Keep using the main frame with bat wings or vapor series bags. Just me but I don't like putting meat in nylon bags. So I strap my meat bags to the frame with whatever bags on the outside or sides. When you do your first pack out you can drop the bags and just go back with the frame and water to recover the remaining meat.

I've got my eye on the "Just One" pack seems like a good cross over pack. Eberlestock seems like a company that is either love or hate with zero room in between. In reality this is likely the only elk hunt or anything like it I'll go on for quite awhile. Otherwise just my prairie antelope, deer, and coyote hunting. I don't need a true mountain pack. Kind of a lot of money to tie up in something a guy might hate 😬
First, congratulations on your SD elk tag. I got a Hills rifle tag in 2019 and I drew a Hills archery tag this year. I mentored 2 other elk hunters in between those two hunts. What unit did you draw? I may have some spots you'd like to check out.

I've owned 3 Eberlestock packs, including the Just One. They are well made with a lot of features but they're heavy and just not that easy to use for me. I went to a Stone Glacier and just couldn't get the fit I wanted with a heavy load. Now I've settled on a Mystery Ranch Pintler pack. But everybody wears a pack differently and has different expectations for a pack. The Pintler definitely meets your needs to be adaptable to different activities. I do like that you can visit a retailer and try MR packs on. Makes a big difference.

Best of luck!
Bob

BTW,
For carrying my scoped rifle I use a KIFARU Gun Bearer that attaches to my pack shoulder strap (QR strap) and waist belt (fabric cup for the rifle butt). This is a very light rig. With the rifle carried on your front you have instant access to it as opposed to an Eberlestock gun pouch.

There is a pretty good comparison video on RS. I have Kuiu and it is an excellent pack as far as I am concerned. You will get many different opinions.

Once I set up camp, I hunt with a full-size pack that has compression straps to cinch down on my day gear. That way I can take a full load of meat out on the first trip out. Keep in mind that the light-to-ultralight backpacker may only have 35-45 pounds of gear. There's an infinite difference when getting up to 90 or 100 pounds of meat on your back. If you're willing to take enough loads out, you can max out as light as you want but really heavy loads require a good load-bearing pack IME. Also, heavy loads handle best close to your back, so a scabbard may not be the best for a "come out heavy" load. I run a Kifaru. Heavier than some but it'll handle a load!

There is a pretty good comparison video on RS. I have Kuiu and it is an excellent pack as far as I am concerned. You will get many different opinions.
#1 on KUIU packs. Great designing build quality with lighter but very durable fabrics.
I have their "Pro Merino Zip Top Hoodie" that is a great all around layer.
KUIU has relied on TORAY Industries (Japan) for their fabrics and materials treatments. As a backpacker I find TORAY technology to be excellent and ahead of many other companies. Typical Japanese attention to detail.

Pick up the phone or drop the company a line. Choose who you spend your high end dollars with based on that treatment. If there is an issue later down the road you already have found who will be fair to deal with it.

Mark from EXO is also a sponger here and I am a loyal customer. I can not imagine how you could make one of his packs uncomfortable! Cadillac comfort and performance.

I haven't tried all of the backpacks mentioned here, but I highly recommend the Badlands backpacks if they have a model that suits your requirements. I have had one of them for over 12 years and they are very well made. And they provide absolutely super service if you ever need it.

Impressive video he confirmed what I think my first real pack will be. Thanks for sharing

They had this guy on the hunt backcountry podcast to talk about his pack reviews. He was really honest. He definitely didn't play any favorites. He said that the carbon fiber frame in the kuiu packs is absolutely trash..

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the MR sawtooth last year and it suits me great. It's basically a daypack though, which is why I got it: small enough i can use it practically every weekend, big enough that you can squeeze an overnight into it if you had to. Probably not more than one in rifle season temps unless you don't carry water in. Bow season an organized guy could fit 2 if he knew where water was.

Meat capacity is the same as the larger MR jobs.

Eberlestock and the cheaper brands didn't suit me, stone glacier was nice but too basic. I really like the organization options in the mystery ranch midsize packs. Just my preference.