Looking for first pack.

WestSoDakThwack

Very unexpectedly drew an elk tag about 10 years earlier than it takes most. The idea of a good frame pack is appealing. Having said that I'm not likely to use it often, so something that could crossover into my coyote hunting is also appealing. I really like the looks of some of the eberlestock packs with rifle scabbards as something I would potentially use in other situations. Possibly even at rifle matches. But I also know almost nothing about packs and what a good do all pack might be. You know something that might pack a 350" elk head out🤣😉, Or the quarters either way and still be small enough to use for other things. This type of gear is all very new to me.

I have eberlestock, mystery ranch, exo, and maybe a few more. My most recent purchase was a gun runner for coyote hunting, and I like it. I was an infantryman in the Army, so I've carried really bad packs for thousands of miles. There are some amazing packs out there, (stone glacier, exo, kifaru, eberlestock..etc), and they all have their benefits. I really like eberlestock, and if you want a pack that will last a lifetime and never fail you, they are great, but they weigh a ton. The other side of that is the stone glacier, which has pretty simple designs, weigh next to nothing, and appear to work really well. I think like most things, it's personal preference and budget.

I have eberlestock, mystery ranch, exo, and maybe a few more. My most recent purchase was a gun runner for coyote hunting, and I like it. I was an infantryman in the Army, so I've carried really bad packs for thousands of miles. There are some amazing packs out there, (stone glacier, exo, kifaru, eberlestock..etc), and they all have their benefits. I really like eberlestock, and if you want a pack that will last a lifetime and never fail you, they are great, but they weigh a ton. The other side of that is the stone glacier, which has pretty simple designs, weigh next to nothing, and appear to work really well. I think like most things, it's personal preference and budget.
How do you find the scabbard on the gun runner. I really like the theory. Reviews are pretty mixed on how it works. Also people say it pretty much only works with traditional stocks and optics which I have almost none of. Could you get a chassis rifle or a high comb vertical grip stock in it?

I love it. I've used it for bolt guns and ar's. I am literally driving home from a hunt right now where I had an ar with a huge 34mm burris scope, 20 rd mag on it. There's room for any gun in there. Gives me enough room to pack a shotgun and a rifle onto stands. Rifle in the pack, shotgun slung, chair in one hand, call in thr other, or strapped on the pack for a long walk. It works great.

I'm going to buy one of the bigger eberlestock packs with the internal scabbard for mountain hunting. One big enough to pack out some meat.

Eberlestock is a tough pack, but really heavy in my opinion.
They are heavy. The bigger packs with the scabbards are pushing 10lbs empty. There are guys on here that will hit the mountains for 5 days and their entire load is less than 30lbs. I'm not that guy anyways. I am also not hunting in high elevations or walking 20 miles a day. When I'm in the mountains here, the elevations are in the 2,500-3,500 asl range, and I'm almost always hunting from a campground, so I don't have to carry much.

I've got my eye on the "Just One" pack seems like a good cross over pack. Eberlestock seems like a company that is either love or hate with zero room in between. In reality this is likely the only elk hunt or anything like it I'll go on for quite awhile. Otherwise just my prairie antelope, deer, and coyote hunting. I don't need a true mountain pack. Kind of a lot of money to tie up in something a guy might hate 😬

Eberlestock takes cues from the military, you have heavy packs with uncreative materials and uninspired designs that they just shove more padding into to try to make comfortable. Looks at packs from companies that takes cues from the backpacking/hiking manufacturers with lighter weight materials, innovative suspension, carbon fiber frames, etc. You might not think a few pounds matter, but your body will benefit from less weight and you will feel it when things start to add up. I run a Kuiu and have one frame with different bags that I can throw on it depending on whether I am going out for one day or ten. If you want a one for all solution, pack frames with modular/swappable bags are the way to go. Lots of people say good things about Exo Mountain Gear and Kifaru, but there are plenty of other good companies out there. Do a search on the forum here as it has been discussed frequently.

Eberlestock takes cues from the military, you have heavy packs with uncreative materials and uninspired designs that they just shove more padding into to try to make comfortable. Looks at packs from companies that takes cues from the backpacking/hiking manufacturers with lighter weight materials, innovative suspension, carbon fiber frames, etc. You might not think a few pounds matter, but your body will benefit from less weight and you will feel it when things start to add up. I run a Kuiu and have one frame with different bags that I can throw on it depending on whether I am going out for one day or ten. If you want a one for all solution, pack frames with modular/swappable bags are the way to go. Lots of people say good things about Exo Mountain Gear and Kifaru, but there are plenty of other good companies out there. Do a search on the forum here as it has been discussed frequently.
Heed this advice