Looking for electronic hearing protection (in ear)

I haven't tried them, but I love their over the ear protection

Look at the high-end AXILs (formerly Sport Ear) if you can afford it. Former hearing aid company. Multi-mode, and customizable electronics to compensate for your specific hearing loss frequencies. You can get them reprogrammed as your ears change over time. Have an audiologist fit you for custom ear molds for a good seal/fit. A foam earbud seal won't cut it, to completely cut out high decibel transients (eg muzzle report). All expensive but so worth the investment if you shoot a lot. Discount for FrontSight members, maybe others. I own Walker earbuds and muffs, many others. AXIL is all I will use now. I have high-end hearing loss, and can't hear someone talking right at me in a noisy room. These AXILs have a mode that actually corrects it for me.

Attachments

• 20170916_121043.jpg
    20170916_121043.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
Look at the high-end AXILs (formerly Sport Ear) if you can afford it. Former hearing aid company. Multi-mode, and customizable electronics to compensate for your specific hearing loss frequencies. You can get them reprogrammed as your ears change over time. Have an audiologist fit you for custom ear molds for a good seal/fit. A foam earbud seal won't cut it, to completely cut out high decibel transients (eg muzzle report). All expensive but so worth the investment if you shoot a lot. Discount for FrontSight members, maybe others. I own Walker earbuds and muffs, many others. AXIL is all I will use now. I have high-end hearing loss, and can't hear someone talking right at me in a noisy room. These AXILs have a mode that actually corrects it for me.
I agree: spend the money for custom in-ear hearing aids from a professional Audiologist. You can wear them hunting and when shooting from the bench your no longer have to worry about your cheek weld.

Sport ears...sportear-custom-90-ite-custom-molded-hunting-hearing-aid-nrr-27-9.jpg

Mine from audiologist..0829201134a.jpg

Mine...can shut down to NOT hear an egg cracked on ss sink...
Yet still here bullet hit target at 400 yrs......
I wear mine for work...hammers...hammer drills...skilsaws....sawzall....
But can still hear stupid jokes from people 200 feet away not talking to me.....but...wind picked up to...just reduce volume....
Three channels all set to my hearing needs...but all set to knock out extreme noises at 85 decibels...

I have the Walkers in ear. They are OK. You get what you paid for at $80. I have worn them in the range and they do great actually. I'm not a big fan for hunting because wind noise and they don't work well with a face mask. Another drawback is when the battery charge starts getting low, they squeal.

I'm in the market for a nice set now. I like the look of those sport ears. Think I'll be researching those and the AXIL options.

I saw this advertised on FB but have no idea how well they work, but it is buy one, get one free.

https://buyaxil.com/?utm_source=fac...c6FmI96Yy4yfsYkeJyGZRpXPO5eF3HcvCfRQs#product

I have a pair. They work really well and I like the over the ear attachment. My ear canal is small and a lot of the in the ear only pieces work their way out quickly so I'm constantly messing with putting them back in. These just stay in. I've taken them to the range and they work just as well as my electronic muffs. I don't listen to music all that much, but when I tried the bluetooth connection, it worked well and the sound quality was on par with my other headphones. Battery life seems decent, as well.

The few times I've had them on in the wind, the wind was mild and there was some wind noise, but I could still hear other sounds amplified over the wind. They're not cheap, but not overly expensive. So far, if I had to purchase some in the ear hearing protection that I would use in the field again, Axil would be where I went shopping for that replacement pair.

Given that you have a lot of braked rifles, I think these would work well for you on your hunts.

I have a pair. They work really well and I like the over the ear attachment. My ear canal is small and a lot of the in the ear only pieces work their way out quickly so I'm constantly messing with putting them back in. These just stay in. I've taken them to the range and they work just as well as my electronic muffs. I don't listen to music all that much, but when I tried the bluetooth connection, it worked well and the sound quality was on par with my other headphones. Battery life seems decent, as well.

The few times I've had them on in the wind, the wind was mild and there was some wind noise, but I could still hear other sounds amplified over the wind. They're not cheap, but not overly expensive. So far, if I had to purchase some in the ear hearing protection that I would use in the field again, Axil would be where I went shopping for that replacement pair.

Given that you have a lot of braked rifles, I think these would work well for you on your hunts.
Awesome, thanks!

I just placed an order, it is now just $99.99 for 1 year warranty, a $100 savings.

Last edited:
some older threads on this, but the technology changes so fast.

Looking at Walkers, 3M and SOund gear right now. Any thoughts? THe sound gear are in canal and supposed to eliminate wind noise because of that.
I use walker's silencer fits in the ear works perfectly cuts the gunshot and you can still talk to someone who is beside you