Looking for digital bench scale

Highbrass

My GemPro 250 finally fritzed out to the point of being unusable. So..hunting a decent replacement and looking for a nice digital scale in or around the $200 range. I have an Autotrickler V4 and A&D . This is for those small jobs when V4 is tied up.

These are really good

My GemPro 250 finally fritzed out to the point of being unusable. So..hunting a decent replacement and looking for a nice digital scale in or around the $200 range. I have an Autotrickler V4 and A&D . This is for those small jobs when V4 is tied up.
The Hornady M2 Digital is under $200 & uses a load cell instead of a strain gauge. Load cell tech is typically more accurate & consistent.

The Hornady M2 Digital is under $200 & uses a load cell instead of a strain gauge. Load cell tech is typically more accurate & consistent.
Load cell and strain gage mean the same thing.
Basically a balance bridge circuit and an amplifier.
There are a few different ways to organize the spring and the strain gage, but these are all considered load cells and different from force restoration types.

Load cell and strain gage mean the same thing.
Basically a balance bridge circuit and an amplifier.
There are a few different ways to organize the spring and the strain gage, but these are all considered load cells and different from force restoration types.

My end user (limited) understanding is very low cost devices usually employ a single strain gauge while basic-level 'load cells' usually consist of a metal anvil with two or four strain gauges affixed to measure opposite forces, allowing appropriate electronics to measure the difference, thereby providing a 'better' (more precise or accurate?) measurement.

I do know that opening my FA Intellidropper to attach a ground wire revealed what appears to be an anvil - with a single strain gauge. In use, I've found the Intellidropper to be consistent & sufficiently accurate for my needs, especially after replacing the cheesy wall wart with a power supply originally supplied with a 1st gen LCD computer display (way more robust & with the same 12V output and a higher load rating than the wall wart).

I'm a layman. Please help me understand.

I'm a layman. Please help me understand.
Earlier I mentioned the same reason, a generic class of electronic scales is called a load cell scale regardless of how the springs and strain gages are used. A magnetic force restoration scale is a different method of transducing the force/weight, and generally more expensive.

It isn't worth sweating the details past the general level since there is good jump up in price by the time all is said and done. While load cell scales have been commoditized and can be made very cheap, the other types are not.

I would buy another gempro due to it's accuracy

Just FYI. Folks looking to replace these are asking for a reason. They stopped making the GemPro 250 a while back, and the new models do not have the same response rate.
Op said his stopped working and needs to replace it, seems like a good reason to ask.

Looks just like mine that I have had for years, not sure if it is the same but looks like it

I've been chasing flyer problems with my rifle. When I finally took my Gempro 250 to my dads to check it against his tuned O'haus beam scale I found the Gempro to be all over the place. To the point it was dangerous. Maybe mine was a fluke but I wouldn't give $5 for another one. I'll never trust it

I've been chasing flyer problems with my rifle. When I finally took my Gempro 250 to my dads to check it against his tuned O'haus beam scale I found the Gempro to be all over the place. To the point it was dangerous. Maybe mine was a fluke but I wouldn't give $5 for another one. I'll never trust it
Think about getting some check weights.
If you don't damage them, contaminate them, or abuse them, then they are at least as reliable as gravity.

Except electrical interference from other household things affect them so I wouldn't say they're as reliable as gravity.I had no idea of all the things that affect them to after I realized mine was flaking out. After doing some research on them I wouldn't go back to a strain gauge scale. I'm not telling anybody to throw their's away like I did. I'm just saying you better have a way to check it often.