• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Looking for bullets suitable for .25-20 loading

cynjon

A while back I inherited an old Savage Sporter in .25-20. I haven't shot it, but I have managed to find a box of Remington factory ammo and a bag of handloads at a gun show. I also recently found a bunch of new brass but haven't purchased it yet. I know I can find reloading dies, so the only "unknown" is a supply of proper bullets for the cartridge. From what I can see, it's typically loaded with a RNFP cast or jacketed bullet in the 60-90 grain range. Anyone have some suitable bullets laying around that they would be willing to sell? I'd like to get this rifle out and shoot it, but I don't want to shoot up all the ammo that I have been able to scrounge without being able to reload for it. Thanks for any leads you can provide!

It seems the Aussies still have a lot of rifles in 25-20. Have a look at the comment below.

I have a Martini Cadet in 25-20 and have recently changed bullets.
I used to use Turton 75gr FPHBs and to be fair it was faultless.
But Turton stuff is fiddly to come across and in the pursuit of more ballistic performance I invested in some Hornady 75gr HPs.
The Turtons shot wonderfully.
Here's an example.....

25-20_75gnTurtonFP_5-shot_0-77_19-8.jpg

I don't know about you guys but a 5-shot 0.77" group @100m is good for any rifle IMO.
So it is with understandable frustration that I'm struggling with the new projectiles.
Anyone have a good load for a 75gr pill that gets their 25-20 shooting well?
For the record I'm currently using AR2207 and the miracle load using the Turton pills was 11.5gr.

I'll be at home Tuesday next week. I shoot a 25-35 and believe I have quite a few boxes of 65 grain bullets that I could probably spare some. I also have a 90 grain bullet mold that I cast and powder coat.

This is where a forum such as this is so helpful. Thanks for the offer to assist.

I think the Turton bullets might be an Aussie design and product.

I have a bullet mold marked 25-20 wfc .It has a ball mold on one side and a 60 grain bulket mold on the other side . Its at least 100 years old pretty cool .I don't have any .25 rifles so it can go

I have a bullet mold marked 25-20 wfc .It has a ball mold on one side and a 60 grain bulket mold on the other side . Its at least 100 years old pretty cool .I don't have any .25 rifles so it can go
Very cool...not sure I want to get into casting bullets for this rifle just yet but I appreciate the offer!

With the new bunch coming in you will be glad to get any bullet you can .Its a awesome reloading tool from days gone by . They shot squirrels and birds with the ball and used the bullets for larger game .

With the new bunch coming in you will be glad to get any bullet you can .Its a awesome reloading tool from days gone by . They shot squirrels and birds with the ball and used the bullets for larger game .
What are you asking for it? Does it include handles? I'm a novice at casting bullets but I do have an Lee pot and some lead. I'd love to see a pic. Thanks!

Yes it had steel handles had to use thick leather gloves .I bet they made bulkets over the campfire with it .There were high speed loads for the 2520 and 3220 for rifles only .The world record typical whitetail was shot with a 2520 rifle .When I get back up to my cabin I can send pictures .

OK. I have a Marlin 94CL, 25-20. Bought new back in the 1980's. Cast my own bullets from a Lyman 65gr GC mold. Since I cast from straight wheel weights the bullets come out about 73grs ( BHN 10.5 to 11 ) . WW have a greater percentage of lead than the Lyman #2 alloy so a bit heavier than the advertised mold weight, but the same length. . With 5 grs of Unique I get about 1500 fps over my chrono & every bit as accurate as any jacketed bullet. Will let you have 200 bullets @ $35 per 100 prepaid, $70 total. . If you only want 100 bullets it would be + shipping @ $8.50. I'd do more but I just moved here this last spring & a lot of my casting equipment is still in boxes. These are bullets I have available right now. I'm 76 & have been casting since I was 19 so hopefully I cast a decent bullet.

Attachments

• 25-20 bullets 003.JPG
    25-20 bullets 003.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 25-20 bullets 001.JPG
    25-20 bullets 001.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 47
OK. I have a Marlin 94CL, 25-20. Bought new back in the 1980's. Cast my own bullets from a Lyman 65gr GC mold. Since I cast from straight wheel weights the bullets come out about 73grs ( BHN 10.5 to 11 ) . WW have a greater percentage of lead than the Lyman #2 alloy so a bit heavier than the advertised mold weight, but the same length. . With 5 grs of Unique I get about 1500 fps over my chrono & every bit as accurate as any jacketed bullet. Will let you have 200 bullets @ $35 per 100 prepaid, $70 total. . If you only want 100 bullets it would be + shipping @ $8.50. I'd do more but I just moved here this last spring & a lot of my casting equipment is still in boxes. These are bullets I have available right now. I'm 76 & have been casting since I was 19 so hopefully I cast a decent bullet.
Awesome, I appreciate it! Those bullets look excellent. I will send you a PM. Thank you sir!

This is the type of stuff I have.....I'm not sure if you got what you need or not. The cast weigh 94 grains and are WW. I'll have to dig for the powder coated one's from the same mold. I'm not sure how many you want or if you do, but I could fire up the pot and cast some more if needed. PM me if you're still looking!

Attachments

• 20210119_171731.jpg
    20210119_171731.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210119_171725.jpg
    20210119_171725.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 30