Looking for advice on a 28 nosler build

PTG has M700 magnum long actions in stock (supposedly), as does Century:

As others have noted, they're far from the $300 they used to sell for- for that coin, you can get a clone for not much more.

Comparing the .300 PRC to the 28 Nosler is somewhat apples and oranges.
The PRC is a purpose-built, designed from the ground up as a long range target chambering- with a long neck for heavy VLD's to maintain maximum case capacity. For hunting, the .300 WM would be my choice over the PRC. The Nosler is essentially a shortened RUM and designed for hunting.
Just because I ran this before and I could not find a rifle or action for under 750-1000. I paid 1200 for a Stainless Mag Defiance Anti with action and bolt nitride coated. I'll throw some numbers to what you said Blued Action 537, Can live with the trigger if you got lucky, True Action 195, 8-40 Base Holes 50, M16 Extractor 120, Recoil Lug 25, Side Bolt Release 100, Cerakote Action/Bolt 200, Flute Bolt 85, total 1312. Heck even with the old price of 250-300 way better off with a custom action. Plus you can buy pre-chambered barrels that are perfectly head spaced and screw your own new barrel on it.

I shoot with two guys that have them one is on a custom stiller action the other in a cooper open country..both shoot extremely well we are shooting 180s out of the cooper and 195s out of the custom..both can be half inch guns…my problem is they do really need a long tube. If you like 24-28 in barrels…then by all means… I like short barrels and suppressors—so I'll go with a more efficient powder burn in a 22 in or less tube…with a long tube it is one bad piece of medicine..COL of 3.76 the 195 about 3050 FPS out of a 27 in barrel the 180s 3100 out of a 26 in barrel. If I were you get your action set up to take 3.850…then you are GTG…

Last edited:
it will e more economical to buy an action , like a defiance tenacity ,or Zermatt origin. Less labor cost , and when its done you will have a full custom . If you ever want to sell it , it will be way easier . Ive had trued 700s sit in the shot because people only see a Rem 700 . Just my advice . Those actions can be had for around 1k .