Looking for advice on a 28 nosler build

greenecj

As stated in the title im looking to have a custom 28 nosler built. So I have an old rem 700 25-06 that I can use for an action. My question is would it be easier/cheaper to use it or just try to find a magnum action
Thanks

You would want an UM action to minimize labor making it feed. If you use the action you have there will be extra labor involved. First, open the bolt face to magnum and install a M16 or mini16 extractor, Then, opening the feed rails and altering the feed ramp for the larger diameter Nosler cartridge. You'll need an UM box and a magnum follower. I have not seen any newly manufactured UM actions, just SA and std bolt face LA. Bottom metal is all the same on LA 700, and for the price those are going for these days I opt for 'custom'.

Thanks guys, I guess my next question would be.
I have a christensen arms mesa long range in 300 prc. Would it just be easier to rebarrel it?

I just haven't been impressed with the 300 prc and I have read the 28 can be a real tac driver.
I guess if I want a big 30 ill just go back to my RUM

As stated in the title im looking to have a custom 28 nosler built. So I have an old rem 700 25-06 that I can use for an action. My question is would it be easier/cheaper to use it or just try to find a magnum action
Thanks
We ended up buying Defiance Anti actions for less than we could buy and have a 700 action tuned and tweaked to the same level. We looked for five months and finally ordered Feb 21. Took 8 months to get it, and was told by Defiance it would be six.

Another option. You will still need to open the bolt face. Built mine off a 700 in 300WM.

I have a christensen arms mesa long range in 300 prc. Would it just be easier to rebarrel it?

I just haven't been impressed with the 300 prc and I have read the 28 can be a real tac driver.
I dont know if the 28N is any better than my 7 STW from the 90's. Ballistically they are within 50fps of each other. My STW shoots (Stock sendero) 120gr into .25@3600, 160gr bullets into .5" @ 3300, and 175 ABLR's into .5" at 3250 all fit in the magazine. Right around 1000 rounds down it. My 28N (Stock Savage UL) only shoots 160 into .5" @3350 (loaded hot), and 168's/175's into nothing under 1.5" and mostly 2" groups @ 32-3250.

Yes, the 28 Nosler can be a real 'tack driver', provided it is pushed down a quality made barrel. Same with the 300PRC. In the case of these cartridges, the quality of the barrel , the quality of the loads is what will determine 'accuracy' (mechanics). IMO, 95%+ of 'accuracy' is in the barrel and the ammo it is fed (proper bedding, stock design, trigger, optics involve the rest of the 'mechanics'. Then, there is the ability of "the nut behind the recoil pad"). Could be the barrel on your PRC just isn't up to the task or the ammo you're feeding it isn't 'up to par'. To blame 300PRC just doesn't make a lot of sense, it can be just as accurate as a 28 Nosler. And I'm no real 'fan' of the PRC cartridges. Put a barrel chambered for the 28 Nosler on, that is of 'so-so' quality, and it may be no more 'accurate' than what you have..

Yes, the 28 Nosler can be a real 'tack driver', provided it is pushed down a quality made barrel. Same with the 300PRC. In the case of these cartridges, the quality of the barrel , the quality of the loads is what will determine 'accuracy' (mechanics). IMO, 95%+ of 'accuracy' is in the barrel and the ammo it is fed (proper bedding, stock design, trigger, optics involve the rest of the 'mechanics'. Then, there is the ability of "the nut behind the recoil pad"). Could be the barrel on your PRC just isn't up to the task or the ammo you're feeding it isn't 'up to par'. To blame 300PRC just doesn't make a lot of sense, it can be just as accurate as a 28 Nosler. And I'm no real 'fan' of the PRC cartridges. Put a barrel chambered for the 28 Nosler on, that is of 'so-so' quality, and it may be no more 'accurate' than what you have..
I definitely don't hate the prc. Its probably more of me not having a 7mm and they are very intriguing to me hahaha. I can always grab the rum if I want some crazy knock down

Thanks
I did just about exactly the same as you are talking about. I utilized my Remington 700 action that was chamber in a 25-06 and converted it to a 7/300 weatherby. Gun shoots great. I have a ounce and a half jewel and is on a McMillan stock with the action trued and blue printed. I also have a custom 28 nosler but instead of using a Remington action I bought one custom due to being already to go and I believe it's a little better than a Remington. Till you get the money into trued you may as well by a custom. I geared my 28 for 195 Berger's and so far it has been a hammer. I don't shoot it much because of being a barrel burner but I have it for one reason only. I check my zero and then send one out to a 1000 yds or more just to verify and usually call it good and hunt. I use ADG brass. 26" hart barrel fluted.

PTG has M700 magnum long actions in stock (supposedly), as does Century:

As others have noted, they're far from the $300 they used to sell for- for that coin, you can get a clone for not much more.

Comparing the .300 PRC to the 28 Nosler is somewhat apples and oranges.
The PRC is a purpose-built, designed from the ground up as a long range target chambering- with a long neck for heavy VLD's to maintain maximum case capacity. For hunting, the .300 WM would be my choice over the PRC. The Nosler is essentially a shortened RUM and designed for hunting.

I used my old Remington 7 mag action for my 28 Nosler build. Mine has a 26" Proof barrel and it's a super tack driver. I built it to hunt elk, but it took me lots of fussing to finally decide what hunting bullet to use. I finally settled on the 177g Hammer Hunter which has been lights out on antelope, a bighorn sheep, and a dandy bull elk. I couldn't be happier with it for what I wanted it to be. It's my favorite hunting rig and I love to shoot it, but my biggest concern is how long the barrel will last.

I used my old Remington 7 mag action for my 28 Nosler build. Mine has a 26" Proof barrel and it's a super tack driver. I built it to hunt elk, but it took me lots of fussing to finally decide what hunting bullet to use. I finally settled on the 177g Hammer Hunter which has been lights out on antelope, a bighorn sheep, and a dandy bull elk. I couldn't be happier with it for what I wanted it to be. It's my favorite hunting rig and I love to shoot it, but my biggest concern is how long the barrel will last.
I only have 150 rounds or so down mine....all cookers. My 7 STW (Sendero) all with full loads and some extra is right under 1000. I used it for shooting groundhogs and coyotes for many years. Not uncommon to get it real hot shooting hogs with a 120BT at 3600fps. I just gave it to my kid after we worked up the latest deer/elk load and it shoots 175ABLR into .5" at 3250 still. I know it goes counter to the pushed info, and this rifle has not lost one bit of accuracy.