Looking for advice/ideas on a last minute hunt.

trevor73402

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice and ideas here. Here's the backstory. A friend and I had a Archery elk hunt in CO planned for mid September around Montrose. We had been planning it since we got back from our 2010 Archery hunt at Delores. Well, at the last minute he had to cancel. We normally pack up our gear and drive up from Oklahoma, find our unit and pack in a pretty nice camp with a nice outfitter tent and stove. Well, this was more of a task than i wanted to try and accomplish by myself alone. So, I didn't get to go hunting either.

Now, I still have 13 days of vacation i need to use starting on the 28th of this month (this Friday). I'd like to take a trip somewhere and do some hunting of some type. The way the 2nd & 3rd rifles seasons (C.O. Elk) fall, I'd only get to hunt the last 2 days maybe of the second season and maybe one day of the 3rd season. Ive never been anywhere to hunt (outside my home state) except for CO. I have acces to cheap airline tickets anywhere in the U.S., and i can also drive if it's more economical. It would have to be something/somewhere that sells over the counter licsence to non-res hunters. I don't care if it elk, deer, prairie dogs, or coyotes. I'd just like to take a trip and see some new ground and meet new people. Im not into the "spoon fed-hold my hand" high fence stuff. I don't even really care if i kill anything, id just like to get out of my home range for a week or so and "Hunt". I've got a new 7WSM I'm itching to try out. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions on something I might be able to do let me know. I have some free housing I could use in/around Denver if anything was to come up around that area, but I'm open to go anywhere is the US.

Thanks,

Check out Wyoming. The people there are nice, there's lots of public land, they sell over the counter tags and you don't need any kind of license to shoot coyotes, prairie dogs or jack rabbits.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.