Looking for advice, $2100 to spend on first scope.

jmyner99er

Hey guys, I bought my first rifle, a Sako A7 in 7mm rm. Im kind of overwhelmed on what scope I should buy. I have $2100 to spend, and to me it's a huge purchase. (I don't plan on buying another scope of this caliber for a very long time) I have been researching scopes for a few months now, endlessly! Im to the point where I need to get one and start finding a sweet load.

I plan on using this scope for mule deer hunting in Wyoming this year, but Im thinking, I will get more use from it at the range shooting 300yd (possibly more) I would like to be confident in possibly shooting accurately out to about 600yd.

I almost bought on impulse the other day a z5 3.5-18x44 with the ballistic turret. Im not sure if a z6 would be better? I figured the z6 3-18x50 would be a well rounded scope, but Im not sure if the 2.5-15x56 is better (compared to the other z6 3-18) or how the z6 2.5-15x44 compares to the z5 3.5-18.

I know any of the above scopes are nice, but I really like the Zeiss Victory Diavari FL 4-16. It's more $$$ then I want to spend. And of course, you have Schmidt & Bender, which I know nothing about except they are up there too.

Im seriously thinking about getting a Swarovski, and Im thinking about getting a Swarovski ballistic turret, but not sure. I do like the simplicity of predetermined settings, but I only count 4. (guess it would be ok if it were zeroed in at 300) What are your thoughts on the BT. (remember Im no expert when it comes to doping, or optics)

What is preferred, a front focal plane or a secondary focal plane?

Another important question is given the above scopes and objectives, what scope mounts and/or rings should I get? I would be willing to pay around $125. I think the A7 came with weaver type mount.

How would you guys set up this rifle?

Thanks for being patient and taking the time to read this.

If I was to spend your money and could not afford the Schmidt & Bender I would go nightforce. They have very good glass and an excellent warranty. I would say 9 out of 10 bench rest shooters that use a variable scope use a nightforce. Their turrets track extremely well also if you choose to adjust the scope for each shot.

If you are looking for ballistic turrets, i would look at the G7 NightForce. And if your budget is that high, dont skimp on rings and mounts, My scope all go in leupold Mk4 Rings.

Opinions will vary on this but I don't like Swaro's for the money. Great glass, for sure! But I have read about too many durability issues and poor tracking to spend my money on one.

The first thing you need to decide is how you are going to shoot at different distances. If you are going to dial the turrets then you need to spend some big bucks to get something consistent enough to rely on. IMO we are talking NF, S&B, Premier, Zeiss upper end, SS, and maybe Vortex but I think the verdict is still out on those, especially the PST's.

If you aren't going to dial and instead use holdover or your reticle then you can get a really good scope for a lot less than you intend to spend.

Thanks for the reply, I have held a few NF (not sure which models) It is heavy and built like a tank. Im thinking more mountain type, but with the option to zoom in and see shot placement on a target at 300yr. NF are great scopes!

S&B has me pondering. I have read the Summit is an excellent 1" scope.. I could afford that. Im just not sure if I would be getting more going with one of the z6 model that puts me at my funds limit. I know nothing about the Zenith or the PH, Im not sure the differences internally between the three S&B models.

I did purchase in Dec 2010 and this is why. The only 5 ELK I saw in Oct. 2010 on my CO hunt came single file across in front of me with 10 min left on the shooting clock, on a NE slope at 9kft on a bluebird day. At 100 yds., they fed across 50 Yds into the next woods, in 5 min. First 4 I could tell were cows....time passed and # 5 eased on out and I could not make out what headgear he was wearing! Looked like at least 2.5' of vertical and that is all I could get out of my scope (CO is a No Spike state). I made a management decision on the way back to camp in the dark that I would trade the FINAL ELK hunt of my life for some glass NOW, that would not let me down in the last 5 min of shooting time on a bluebird day. My eyes are almost 70 so I ain't far from that Final hunt....lol

Did my homework in Nov. then drove 200 miles and took my T-3 338WM with a 2008_VX III LR, 4.5-14x50_30mm tube B & C on it to a store that had the Z6 and Diavari's. Got there at Sun set and for 30 min. looked through all 3 every 5 min. at a horse and fence on a hill about 150yds out. Went with the Zeiss Victory FL Diavari 4-16x50T* with Rapid Z 800 Ret.

Cost! I'm one hunt $hort now! You get what you pay for in GLASS and coatings. It's an investment in my Grandchildren! Mileage may vary!
Good Luck.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/nf-swaro-zeiss-scopes-wwyb-69398/#post484012

Only thing I failed to mention is I took NF out of the list because of weight.
I'm older than dirt & tooooo weak-fragile- out of shape and shutting down fast to let a few Ozs stop me from climbing that Mt. One more time (I don't like punishment at 10,000ft & alone), cause that's where the ELK are.
Good luck on your choice. $2,200 will get you there.

The zeiss or s&b would be my first choice, but if you can't come up with the extra money then cameralandny have swarovski z6 on closeout right now. I would use talley 2 piece base and rings.

I'd buy a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T with a TM reticle. Then I'd spend the $1,000 I had left over on other stuff.

Last week I bought a Swaro Z6 2.5=15x56 with the BT, and it's by far the best scope I have ever owned. Awesome for low light and long range shooting.

The A7 is a great rifle but not worthy of a $2100 dollar scope. Get yourself a good hunting weight scope, ie... Ziess, leupold, Sightron, etc… Now take the other $1000 re-barrel/bed your action.
I guarantee you will out shoot your current set up with a $2100 scope attached to it any day of the week.

Again, just my 2 cents worth.

I just got my 6.5-20x56 Leupold VX3 and its AWESOME!!! Sweet glass and lifetime warranty and did forget to say MADE IN THE USA!
For around 1000 to 1200 can get you all the scope you need, spend the rest on reloading stuff or if you dont reload buy more ammo!

of course thats JMHO.

Leupolds are very good scopes but until you compare them to german or jap glass they do not compare. If im not mistaken the best leupold scopes made are done by premire reticle?Which in my opinion is not the best glass.Just my 2 cents
My moto is you can only shoot as good as you can see

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.