Looking for a Texas hog hunt

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I'm looking for someplace in Texas to hunt hogs/javelina. My son is out of the Air Force now and we'd like to take a trip. Would like to find somewhere we could hunt out of blinds and/or walk a ranch. We are seasoned hunters and not interested in deer and are 100% responsible and respect the property of others. We don't need our hand held and will take care of our own animals. Not really interested in a high fence and would like to make this as affordable as possible. Anyone have a lead or could suggest a ranch or two?
Many thanks
good luck

You might try going on the Texas Parks and Wildlife site and see what you can figure out with regard to hunting on public lands. Looks like you need a Texas hunting license plus $48 for the public lands permit. Not sure how hard these permits are to get. The area where I looked on the site was a little vague. There is also some guidance regarding places where hunters are welcomed by land owners, particularly in ag areas. A list of likely counties was provided. If you want to hunt private land it looks like costs are anywhere from $0 to $900 a day with most falling around $250 per day per hunter.

It's really kind of interesting. I was talking to a land owner from East Texas that was complaining about the hogs tearing up his fences and crops and running the deer off his place. I told him that my son and I would be willing to come out and kill as many as he would like us to, or as many as we were able. His choice. He said that would be great and that it would only be $250 a day per gun. I told him he didn't need to pay us, we'd be willing to kill his hogs for free. We might even help him fix some of his fences. Then he explained he wanted us to pay. I asked the guy if the local exterminator paid him to come over and kill his rats. He said no. I gave him my card and told him when he wanted some help with his hog problem to give me a call. Otherwise, have fun with your busted fences and dug up crops. So far I haven't heard from him.

Helicopter hunting hogs is so much fun, but it is expensive. No doubt. We've done it a few times to clear the hogs out at corn planting time.
But educate the next generation. We did this 1 year on a property. The next season of hogs wouldn't break the tree line. Hogs are dog smart (look up Texas A&M Hog Studies program).

Anyone have any experience with independence ranch?
I have no first hand experience but when looking for a place to go I was leaning that way. But boy can you find horror story's.
If I remember correctly the guy gives you a lowball price then charges you for every little thing even corn. If you don't buy into the corn they put you were they know you won't see anything. Then try and sell you on a upgrade to what they call the honey hole.
They also seemed to have a long track record with poor business practices that involved even the state getting. Involved.
Now keep in mind it's was internet research so do your own and if it's great and or changed please let us know.
Also if you put in for his free hog hunt drawing that is on his site I bet you win everyone I know who applied including me about a week later becomes a winner. So if you go expect some extras. Can't make money by giving them away.
Price may be fine when all said and done but I like up front prices and no crap like that.

But educate the next generation. We did this 1 year on a property. The next season of hogs wouldn't break the tree line. Hogs are dog smart (look up Texas A&M Hog Studies program).
You're absolutely correct. Hogs are smart. Around here they are wary of traps. Hogs hunted with thermal also bolt for the woods a the slightest sound of a vehicle slowing down near them at night. In the case of our helicopter hunts, there was no generation left to learn. We had a 100% kill rate on the pigs we saw and broke from the trees. That's the key.

I have no first hand experience but when looking for a place to go I was leaning that way. But boy can you find horror story's.
If I remember correctly the guy gives you a lowball price then charges you for every little thing even corn. If you don't buy into the corn they put you were they know you won't see anything. Then try and sell you on a upgrade to what they call the honey hole.
They also seemed to have a long track record with poor business practices that involved even the state getting. Involved.
Now keep in mind it's was internet research so do your own and if it's great and or changed please let us know.
Also if you put in for his free hog hunt drawing that is on his site I bet you win everyone I know who applied including me about a week later becomes a winner. So if you go expect some extras. Can't make money by giving them away.
Price may be fine when all said and done but I like up front prices and no crap like that.
Thanks for the reply. I'll do more research. My buddy lives in San Antonio and we were looking for places around him. Doesn't have to be a high volume hunt necessarily but we want to take our kids and have good odds of success. Any additional information is greatly appreciated.

As a rancher/landowner in Texas with a hog problem I will offer a little info. Hogs are smarter than you. I don't intend this as an insult it's just that they have lived generations in the area and you got here a few minutes ago. They don't pattern like any other game animals. They are fun and easy to hunt for a few days/nights then they move and those same hogs won't come back for 30+ days. I have box traps, a cell gate trap, thermals and we have helicopter hunted them. I still have hogs but, not near as bad as some, they are hard to find and harder to kill. They mix with the cows on open pasture, split up when pressured (air or ground). Started out hunting them with dogs, horseback 25+ yrs ago (that's a young mans sport). Its just not effective use of ones time to take new hunters out hog hunting. Shots are often offhand, unknown distance at multiple running targets.

Attachments

• CC460868-E001-4E23-8A53-E8D0A0152371.jpeg
    CC460868-E001-4E23-8A53-E8D0A0152371.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hogs have a habit of disappearing into switchcain. You can walk in there and hear them and even smell them and never see them, but Dogs can flush them. Who's got free Hogs?

Hi, I know I'm late to this thread but I've had a great time hunting over the past 10 years at Smith Ranch near Centerville, Tx. They have blinds and stalking but the thing that keeps bring me back is the long range opportunities. Danny has a shooting platform set up if you like prone or a bench if you prefer; feeders are positioned at 225, 300, 600 and 900 yards. Smith Ranch sits in a dry county, if you wish to enjoy adult beverages after your hunt you need to bring them with you. In fact you need to plan on bringing food and anything else you might want. I've never left empty handed and have learned a lot about terminal bullet results during the skinning process. Happy hunting!

We hunted near Quanah with Roger Browning at (940) 631-0544. He uses blinds at night near feeders. You might want to see if he can get you into any daytime hunting. good luck

Too bad some of you guys don't live closer. When I retired in 2007 I bought 56 acres North of Lampasas, TX to hunt deer on. No hogs.
After a few years there were only a couple showing up at the feeders. The last few years they are coming out in groups of 10+. The photo is some my s-i-l and I shot with our 6.5 CM bolt rifles one evening before dark last September. These are not long range kills...75-80 yards. I now have an AR10 in 6.5 CM... should allow me to get a few more shots off before they scatter.
3EC6B14E-F4FF-430F-A60D-8B3C3E46BC8B.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts