Looking for a smith to slab a Remington 700 long action

Hunter Reed

As the thread title states I am looking for a reputable smith to slab my Remington 700 long action. I'm planning on building a 7STW on the action and although I'm sure the weight savings will be minimal I like the look and already have all the parts for my build. Thanks in advance

I am fully capable of doing that job, but, it may require a 'variance' from ATFE as the makers name would be removed. I would have to check with my favorite ATF Investigator to know for sure. I do know that a 'variance' is required before removing a serial number to do metal work and then replacing it. I think money would be better spent bushing the firing pin hole and having the extraction timing fixed (if it needs it, and most do). I guess I'm more of a function and reliability guy than 'cool'.

I did a bit of measuring yesterday. That 'wall', where the makers name is,,, is .175" thick. You can mill only so much of that off for the 'slab' on that side. It's the same thickness on the short side, in front of the bolt handle.

Sounds like I should just save my pennies and go the custom rout. No since in putting a proof barrel and Mcmillan stock on a factory action, blueprinted or not. What's the old saying, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig haha. Thanks for educating me on the subject I appreciate it.

I had a SA done with the ejection port opened up, slabbed on the left side only along the ejection port length and slabbed on the right hand side. It saved 1.7 oz. I probably could have saved another .2 or .3 oz by removing more but I wanted to have some aesthetics left over.
You could save the same amount of weight by skeletonizing the bolt handle, adding aluminum bolt knob, AL shroud, and aluminum firing pin. I think my action with bolt weights slightly over 26 oz.
I think for the amount of work that was put into that action and it still being a R700, a Defiance AnTi might be my next route.

I would have to recommend taking shortgrass's recommendation and spend the money on a custom action of your liking. Modifying a factory can only increase the liabilities and decrease the strength, and not accomplish any real gains. If you buy a remington clone, all of the other accessories will/should fit.

Just a recommendation 👍

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm planning on building a 7STW for a upcoming elk hunt with my dad. I have a few blueprinted Remington 700 actions but have yet to buy a full custom action. It sounds like I should just bite the bullet and buy a custom.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.