Looking for a smith that will work on a Weatherby

I would suggest you start the Weatherby Customer service dept. They have always been very helpful. They can re barrel the rifle , and put the #2 26 inch sporter barrel on it , or even put the #3 Accumark fluted ( Heavier) barrel on it , if you want. Then I would suggest custom bedding . Just my 2cents

Had to go back through the archives but a late friend used to have Teton river traders gun shop build on Mark V actions and they were shooters. They are/were out of South Dakota. Can't find much on Google about them, appears they may be closed. Just had to find that out, it's been almost 8 years since he passed and I still have pics of his one Mark V build and he had a few.
I had HART build me a 7 mm Rem mag with a 28 in bbl on a Weatherby Mark V action and free float the stock and have used it all over North America into Canada for sheep and rams, elk, deer ,goats and made 4 trips into Alaska with her and does she shoot. Had him make up a set of custom dies with the neck bushings some 40 years ago. Still one of my top toys. Now am looking into a 6XC with a 30 in tube, custom build. That Mark V is one hell of an action.. Good luck with your dream !!!!! That was Hart in PA. also did my 25-06 AI and my 6MM-06 AI

I never had any work done for me by Weatherby, but have a few of there toys: 300 Wby, 30-378 Wby and they shoot, have taken deer and elk with my toys use 150 in the 300 and 180's in the 30-378. The only problem is the price of the brass and belted case. But do love them Weatherby's. Mine are all mark V. Been handloading these from day one. Do understand they do some good work .

Call Rich Reilly at Hi Tech Custom Rifles Colorado Springs, Co (719) 667-1090. He took my worn out Weatherby FiberMark in .340 and turned it into a 1/2" moa Elk killing machine. His custom muzzle brakes are really effective too.

Oh dang can't recall the gunsmiths name, my MK V started out as a 338-378 mag, shot very poorly. Had rifle re-barreled/rechambered to 257 wby mag with a Bartlien rem varmint contour . Now it's a tack driver

Good Morning, If you are looking for someone who knows firearms and can repair, modify and build quality firearms I have to again recommend America's Gunsmith Shop in Kenosha, WI. I have had them do a lot of work on my firearms over the years and the quality as well as more than reasonable pricing and turn around time is second to none. The company was formerly a part of Gander Mountain/Outdoors and from what I understand the employees bought the company out from Gander when they shut down the last time. They are located at 6802 118th Ave, Kenosha, WI 53142. You can reach them at 866-862-4570 from 9 am to 4 pm Central time. Firearms can be mailed to and from their shop. They will provide a suitable box for mailing (UPS)

Oh dang can't recall the gunsmiths name, my MK V started out as a 338-378 mag, shot very poorly. Had rifle re-barreled/rechambered to 257 wby mag with a Bartlien rem varmint contour . Now it's a tack driver
How did your smith handle taking the bolt face for the 378 based cartridge down to standard mag face for the 257? Did he add metal vai weld and re-cut?

I would feel safe sending any of my Weatherby Mark V rifles back to the factory . I have been loading for the .270 Weatherby Mag again. I do not seem to have any issues with the belt. I have collected New Unfired Brass over the past 30 years , and just bought 50 once fired Weatherby cases and another 50 Rds of new Norma 270 Weatherby Mag Brass. All separated by weight of 1 grn. so I have cases in the 206 grn. range; the 207 grn. range ; the 208grn range , ect. Took about 85 rounds of my handloads to the Bang Steel Shooting School , where they performed really well at assorted Ranges out to 1200yards. all with the same load, 66.7 grns of H 4831 SC ,with the 150 grn Nosler Accubond L R bullet . I will be testing 67.0 Grns. of H 4831SC in the spring . I don't expect much difference. This Rifle /Bullet / Load will be used in North Carolina for deer , in the Bean fields, where a 400 to 500 yard shot at a whitetail, is very possible.

Teton river gunshop is in Pierre, SD, but I am not sure if they are still open and still offer gunsmithing services. I have been there before, but it has been probably 6-7 years ago.....nice people.

Recent Posts