Looking for a smith that will work on a Weatherby

skookum

Title says it all, looking for a reputable gunsmith in the vicinity of th Idaho Panhandle, Montana or Eastern WA to rebarrel a Weatherby Mark 5 that has given me nothing but problems. It took over 200 rounds, 4 different bullets, and 3 powders to find something that shot decently, the barrel sped up and its out of the node again and I am done chasing my tail with this rifle. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Title says it all, looking for a reputable gunsmith in the vicinity of th Idaho Panhandle to rebarrel a Weatherby Mark 5 that has given me nothing but problems. It took over 200 rounds, 4 different bullets, and 3 powders to find something that shot decently, the barrel sped up and its out of the node again and I am done chasing my tail. Any suggestions?
I would call Shawn at Defensive Edge and talk with him. If he doesn`t work on WBYs, I would trust his recommendation without question. Just a thought

Title says it all, looking for a reputable gunsmith in the vicinity of th Idaho Panhandle to rebarrel a Weatherby Mark 5 that has given me nothing but problems. It took over 200 rounds, 4 different bullets, and 3 powders to find something that shot decently, the barrel sped up and its out of the node again and I am done chasing my tail. Any suggestions?
Have you tried backing your load back to the velocity it was shooting good at before speed up? That is what has worked for me.

I already did. He said he wasn't set up to work on it and didn't know of anyone who was. He barreled another gun for me that shoots light out and I was hoping to never have to go to another shop.

Not in your area but I had harts do mine and although it took longer than I wanted I can say the end product is great. Hopefully you find someone in your area because I like being able to drive and drop it off.

Not in your area but I had harts do mine and although it took longer than I wanted I can say the end product is great. Hopefully you find someone in your area because I like being able to drive and drop it off.

What was the turn around for Hart?

I just called them, they said a year. If it were 5-6 months I'd already be on my way to the post office.

Had to go back through the archives but a late friend used to have Teton river traders gun shop build on Mark V actions and they were shooters. They are/were out of South Dakota. Can't find much on Google about them, appears they may be closed. Just had to find that out, it's been almost 8 years since he passed and I still have pics of his one Mark V build and he had a few.

Recent Posts