Looking for a scope recommendation - coyotes

royinidaho

Rifle: Sig 556. 224 Hornady 60gr V Max @ 2944 MV
Max range expected to be around 300 yds with shot coyotes being seen out towards 400+. Note: I don't tend to pass on yote shots. :rolleyes:

Assumed scope requirements: (I may be all wet on this :

4 - 12 or 14X,
50 mm objective - maybe a 40 mm would work @ the low end of power range?
1" Tube
Decent reticle. MOA preferred. I could be persuaded on a BDC of some kind.
There will be no time for clicking.
I don't like Nikon's circles. . .

I also don't like the Pentax drop compensating reticle. The second cross line down is way too close to the zero hold line.

Secondly the Pentax has way to much parallax, even @ 100 yds. (No less than 2 MOA)

Looking for a moderately priced unit. No need to a NXS or Tactical type. I already have enough of those to go around.

I would hope that recommendations would be based on actual use/experience.

Recommendations will be well accepted.

Thanks

Roy

Roy,

With years of coyote and P Dog experience in Montana, I used a 220 swift with a Leopold 6x20x56 VXL Varmint reticle. I sight in at 200 for zero and it has proven to be outstanding for years. Thats my 2 cents. This scope is the reason I am just now looking at NF Scopes for long range on elk and deer rifles. Good luck on the yotes, then take on the wolves too!

Andy

I have a Burris Signature Select 4-16x with the ballistic plex reticle. It's awesome for what you want. The glass on the scope is great and I was super bummed when they discontinued the Signature Select line this year. If you make it down towards Cache Valley you're welcome to get a hands on look.

I just bought a Stiener Predator Extreme 2.5-10/42. The glass in that scope is better than Ziess in my opinion. Supposedly this scope is assembled in the U.S. by Burris. I've only had time to play with it doing load development, but i really like it. The reticle is like Burris' Coyote Reticle with the circle, but this doesn't have the circles just hash marks. I got it from Camera Land as a demo for 650.00

I'd go on E-bay and look for a slightly used Swarovski 4-16X50 with the BR reticle. There are some great deals to be had on there.

Roy

Your requirements on scope set up sounds like you have put quite a bit of thought into this set up. As you mentioned we tried a BDC scope with the circles and found it lacking.
Ended up finding a used Leupold 3.5x10x40 B/C scope and mounted it on my .257 Roberts. Where we hunt coyotes you can get a 40 yd are a 400 yd shot. We found out that you can set and tweak the power settings to match point of impact with some testing at different ranges. I have already ranged most landmarks where we hunt so it's a matter of setting the power ring and using the hash marks in the reticle. It's not as accurate as dialing I usually don't have time for that. The smaller hash marks make for a finer aiming point and you can still see them in fairly low light. The 3.5x10 power range has you covered for the up close shots and big end should get you out to 350+.
Anyway that's what works for me. Good luck on your yote setup.

Roy, I have used a vx-2 4-12x with the long range plex with great success on coyotes. its a cross hair then dots under it similar set up to the boone and crockett or varmint hunters reticle. Also the varmint hunters reticle would work well in it. the vx2 is a great scope and can be picked up for next to nothing

I second the comment that a scope with a max of 10x will get it done. I would get a leupold with CDS turret, you already know your load and speed that should get you started. either a 3.5-10 model or the new vx6 3-18 which is available with a CDS turret.

Roy,

Just my 2cents I use a Leu. mark Ar on my rock river has turrets is very consistent once you get your ballistics figured out for it. It is in 6x18x40 I keep it dialed at 225 which lets me hold on from 100yds out to about 280 I can always hold at top of back from 300 to 350 if it is a longer shot than that I usually have plenty of time to dial exact. For the price $450.00 -$475.00 this scope works very well.I'm using 55gr.nos. ballastic tips at 3240fps.

Rick

Another +1 for the Leupold Varmint Hunters reticle. You can get the VX3's in 1" tube or the LR models with 30mm tube. They'll go 14X in a light and short scope. I've shot plenty of coyotes with scopes set on 8X to 10X but personally prefer 12X-16X for when the shots are beyond 400 yds. I've used the VH reticle quite a bit in the last few years.

The scope I've killed most coyotes with however, is a 3.5-15X Nightforce with the MOA spacing and ranging circles reticle.........built prior to the NXS models, no tall turrets on it. I leave it on 15X for all coyote hunting, even calling them in close. Big downside to this scope is size and weight, other than that I absolutely love it!!

I don't personally know of any rugged, premium, lightweight, low profile scopes with medium/fine MOA reticles, or I'd have a bunch of them.

If it were me, I'd get a 30mm tube if you want a 50mm objective, but that's appearance only, and just my opinion on what looks good. I am not familiar with the BDC/reticle spacing on the Swaro's and my Burris Black Diamond with the ballistic plex hasn't been used on any coyotes.......cant comment on them.

You hit the nail on the head Roy, there wont be time for dialing. It's all about the reticle because when most coyotes are 300 or less, they aren't standing around very long. Hell, I've watched them from a very very long ways off and even then, they hardly stop to smell the roses unless they are on a kill or taking a nap!

This is a pic of AR with the mark AR scope,the nice thing about this scope is size not overly large. imo

Attachments

• dog 2.jpg
    dog 2.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.