Looking for a quiet rifle...Hornet...Fireball?

Browning also make a Hornet. I love mine. 35 grn V MAX and 12.8 grns Lil Gun. You will find that the Hornet is a finicky round to load.

I have a Hornet and a .221FB. The Hornet is a little quieter; that may be partially due to having a heavier, longer barrel than the CZ sporter, but I'd hazard a guess that the .22 Hornet is the quietest over-the-counter centerfire cartridge you can buy. No way is the .223 quieter.
If I were a gun/ammo maker, I'd be looking at quieter, short-range c-fires as the wave of the future; we're simply running out of land and it's getting harder to shoot at longer ranges. That, and/or making suppressors easier to get in the U.S., as they are in the U.K., (they may even be mandatory in some areas there.) I looked at internally-suppressed like those at johnsguns.com, but seem pretty expensive.

The wife and I both have the M77/22 hornet from ruger. They have a semiheavy barrel and shoot dime sized five shot groups at 100 yards. I load 12 grains of Win 296 behind a 35 grn Vmax. Devistating on gophers, in fact after buying these I gave my Rem Varminter 22-250 to my son, I just love this cartridge. I have several 223s and the hornet is way quieter. Over my chrony, my hornet load is running 3220 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.