Looking for a new hunting bullet... Which one!??!

OCHO505

So I have a 300 WSM I love but last few animals I have shot I am not seeing the results I want on animals and I actually lost a buck in Colorado this weekend. So I am looking to try and switch things up. Currently shooting the 190 ABLR. Recently scored some 200 grain ELDX before this all happened just to try them out. I just hear good and bad about every kind of bullet so looking for some insight. A buddy of mine says for smaller game like deer or antelope I need a softer bullet or possibly the speed of the gun and bullets are too much. I forgot to add... Seams like the closer the shot the less I see great results but the further shots seam to do better. 200 yards and in are not great but 300 out seam much better and my AR10 stones most things so I am trying to figure out how to solve the situation. Thoughts??

On the deer I just shot no zipped him but it was a small buck. On the oryx in Avitar no pretty much disintegrated. On previous oryx stopped in the hide on the other side of the animal. The ones I find and in good standing are on the further shots like 350 - 500.

Personally for whitetail and black bear here in New England I have really good luck with the eld-match line of bullets. Run heavy for caliber in the 2800-2900 range and you'll be very happy with the performance. I dont have any experience with the 30 cals but I have extensive experience with the 140 eld-m in 6.5 and 162/180eld-m in 7mm. Even the 162 at 3150 from my 7mm rem mag did very well.

Last edited:

Recent Posts