Looking for a new caliber please help. Lol

You may want to look at the discounted Mauser 18 rifles, particularly in 6.5 PRC. Can find them at a couple of distributors for less than $500 & all reports on them seem to indicate excellant accuracy. Just another potential budget friendly option.

Not trying to start a argument in the responses of others in here. But I am considering buying a new rig. Primarily hunting and some target shooting. rifles I have considered are
1.mossberg patriot predato. 2ruger American 3. Rem 700adl sps. 4savage 110. 5. Weather by vanguard meat eater (Howa)
now I own and shoot a savage long range 111 in 300 win mag. Love it. It is heavy. 8+lbs rifle. 2lbs scope. Sling. Ect. Iam really set on a Weatherby. I like the stock from a factory set up and to me it looks and feels great.
but I am kind of set on the 6.5prc. The patriot is lighter at 6.5lbs. Cheap at 400$ and I could thrash it. The 110 savage is 510$. So I could still get a higher quality rifle in 6.5prc that is obtainable. But I have considered these and I want your feed back as to why you choose the cartridge for hunting and some target shooting.
7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
6.5prc (Mossberg or savage )
maybe a 300wsm
Maybe a 6.5 C M (Ruger American)
I live in western oregon. Hunt deer and Roosevelt elk. But I have the 300win mag for the big work and just not Sure what to get next for a lighter rifle and on a somewhat of a budget in the 4-600$ range. Any suggestions ?
I love my Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5 CM! Smacks deer hard here in big buck country. (WI-MN)

I'm putting a vote in for tikka t-3. I have 3 of them now and they shoot sub MOA with factory ammo. 1/4" with hand loads with the 243. I actually traded a Mosberg for a t-3 varmint 308. The Mosberg MVP shot great but fit and finish was garbage. Magazine fit sloppy and caused feeding issues and the action is way more inferior to a tikka's smooth action

+1 on the .257 Weatherby. So far, mine has shot under an inch with 3 different factory loads. Here in Kalifornia I finally found some 100gr TTSX that will be tested shortly. That will likely be my go to deer load if it performs.

My opinion my not be popular here, but I had a Weatherby recently. It was a vanguard ramge certified model. Was supposed to more accurate than the off the shelf vanguard. I had issues with getting it to group woth factory ammo a d with reloads. Dealer who was a warranty service center for Weatherby checked it out and shot it and agreed that it had to go back. Weatherby checked it out and said that they were able to achieve 1moa accuracy (.96 actually) with one particular factory ammo (nothing like what I wanted to shoot through it) and they sent it back. So, I decided to trade the rifle in kn something else and the dealer, whom I had done a ton of business with advised me tgat they were not interested in offering on it or any other Weatherby for that matter. They took me to see their manager and he showed me their inventory of rifles that had been through the same process with the same number of dissatisfied customers. They didnt do this to bash Weatherby, but to give me perspective on why they were not able to offer on the rifle. Im 100% done woth Weatherby! I'm not one of those basher types, but that was a bad deal!

This makes me curious why they didn't tell you this before you made the purchase of your rifle. especially if you've "done a ton of business" with them.... that alone would sour me from that dealer . Just curious , not picking a fight.

Not trying to start a argument in the responses of others in here. But I am considering buying a new rig. Primarily hunting and some target shooting. rifles I have considered are
1.mossberg patriot predato. 2ruger American 3. Rem 700adl sps. 4savage 110. 5. Weather by vanguard meat eater (Howa)
now I own and shoot a savage long range 111 in 300 win mag. Love it. It is heavy. 8+lbs rifle. 2lbs scope. Sling. Ect. Iam really set on a Weatherby. I like the stock from a factory set up and to me it looks and feels great.
but I am kind of set on the 6.5prc. The patriot is lighter at 6.5lbs. Cheap at 400$ and I could thrash it. The 110 savage is 510$. So I could still get a higher quality rifle in 6.5prc that is obtainable. But I have considered these and I want your feed back as to why you choose the cartridge for hunting and some target shooting.
7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
maybe a 300wsm
I live in western oregon. Hunt deer and Roosevelt elk. But I have the 300win mag for the big work and just not Sure what to get next for a lighter rifle and on a somewhat of a budget in the 4-600$ range. Any suggestions ?
Love my 257 Wby... my most favorite rifle to shoot and hunt with. It's not a Vanguard a MK5 RC.. most accurate non custom I own. I had no plans on buying it, but was at the bass pro grand opening in San Antonio. I went, was in the gun Deptment just looking , asked to see the 257... I had never owned a Wby.. but I knew the difference between a vanguard and the MK5. I own 4 now... I looked at the price and was confused.. I knew it had to be miss marked.. I asked the guy if it was correct.. he said yes and was looking in the computer... another guy a mgr I guess, walked over and asked if he could help the newbie out.. long story longer🤣 they had marked the MK5 RC as a vanguard!! I asked if they had anymore in the back😂😂 he laughed and quickly said NO! They had to sell it to me at the price marked! Stuff like that never happens to me! The only time it's ever happened 😂😂 my vote is for the 257... it wasn't Roy Weatherby's favorite for nothing!😉 Good Luck

If you have a 300wm, no sense in getting a 7mag (sharp recoil in my opinion) or a 300wsm (which is my primary go to do all, but not pleasant enough to use it for range fun). Don't own a creemoor but hard to argue the massive amount of positive data/experience. A step up but still pleasant is 6.5x284 (this one I do use for range fun).
Re brands and models, some are more refined than others but accuracy still rifle specific. If accuracy is the primary goal and you are budget minded, changing a Savage bbl is fairly easy/cheap.
I am intrigued by the Tikka T3 comments and may look at that route for a creedmoor 🙂

7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
maybe a 300wsm

7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
maybe a 300wsm
I like cartridges that have been military or police becaus the ammo is cheaper and more readily available. My first deer rifle was a 30-06 Remington 700 Bdl it shot factory and reloads well. My reloads would string vertical but seldom had much horizontal movement from load to load. I always free float my barrels. With this rifle I could drive nails at 100 yds and took deer out to 500. The 270 and 25-06 came from the 30-06 and are too lighter recoil than your 300 wm. I went to 308 and 243 for that reason. They are Ruger M77s and although the are tough and shot well, they are more picky on ammo selection and I get vertical as well as horizontal strings from load to load. Most modern rifles are plenty accurate for hunting out to 300 yds. If you want to shoot past that you will be getting into a different class of rifle in the $1000 dollar plus range. In my opinion the new calibers are just trying to reinvent the wheel and they are expensive to feed! With my 243 and 308 I can cover bullet weights from 55 gr to 220 gr. And take shots out to 500 yds. For me this is all I need. If I ever get the opportunity to hunt moose, elk or Grizzly I have a 338 wm with muzzle break. It is expensive to feed!

7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
maybe a 300wsm
I would try the tikka t3lite they are
7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
maybe a 300wsm
I would try the tikka t3lite , very accurate out of box ! You might look at the 6.5 creedmoor as a caliber

7 rem mag(Vanguard)
257 weatherby (Vanguard)
maybe a 300wsm
I would stay same type and make that you already got. You stated you have a savage so with another savage. I would check with local law on min. caliber the state requires.

I would vote tikka t3x I bought one and worked up hand loads 3/8 @100 in 308 but I also agree with sticking with the same rifle you have -savage your comfortable with it and it's like training no matter what rifle you are shooting. If have 3 tikka t3 for that reason. So nothing feels odd and everything functions the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.