Looking for a hunting load for my GAP LR308

crbrta

This is my first hunting season with my new GAP LR308 and I'm looking for some suggestions on facory hunting loads. The rifle is incredible and seems to perfer the Federal 175s and HSM Amax in 178. I've gotten several .6 to .5 moa groups out of it over the last few months. I love the performance of the Amax on paper and steel but I've heard very mixed reviews about their performance on game.

I live in Texas and hunt mainly whitetail and hogs. I know the SMK and Amax aren't designed for hunting so I'm looking for some suggestions that I could keep sub moa out to 600-700 if there are any. I tried some Berger VLDs from HSM in 168 and 185 but had feeding issues with both. I don't know if it was the length or what but I haven't had any feeding issues with the SMK or Amax rounds. What about BH match in 180 Nosler AB? Anyone had any experience with these or have a favorite factory load for hunting I could try? I'd appreciate any insight and oh yea, here's a pic of my new rig:

STA72082.jpg

At the velocity that rifle is going to shoot, I wouldn't be afraid to shoot an a-max at a whitetail and hog. It will perform quite admirably especially when you need expansion at longer range. SMK's are hit and miss with expansion. It is one of those, "just try it and see what happens" ordeals. I know that they don't open well on ground hogs, but hitting something heavy like bone of a deer and hogs will be right up its alley. So... I guess its pick your poison. If you have reloading gear at home, I would try to seat the bullets deeper with the bergers if you have any HSM left over and see if that helps your feeding issues and helps with accuracy or hurts it.

Tank

I second what TANK said the AMAX should work well on Deer and Hogs, and from what you have told us the groups dont lie.

If you dead set on trying something else look for something with a BARNS bullet I think Federal and Black hills offers some. Also any of the Seirra Gameking bullet work real well at 308 win speeds over a broad range of impact speeds.

I concur with both prior posts. I have been out of the factory load ballgame for some time however the Game Kings or the Nosler BT's in 150 gr. are proven performers on light game at .308 Win. velocities. I shot lots of chucks with the 168 gr. AMAX's out of my .308 and expansion is spectacular! I wouldn't hesitate using it on deer-sized game with correct shot placement. I try to avoid northbound shots on a southbound deer anyhow but would avoid it like the plague with the AMAX unless the ranges are long.

I appreciate the insight. I definitely won't discount the amax and I feel much better about trying them out on some hogs after hearing the feedback. I guess what I was reading about was bigger animals and higher velocity rounds. Truth be told I would rather use the Amax after the last few sessions at the range but I had heard some mixed reports on their performance up close. We hunt mainly senderos so there are shot opportunities from 30 feet to 600-700 + yards. I definitely don't mind doing a little experimentation on some hogs, but I don't want to be second guessing my choice if I had a nice 150+ in front of me! I'll take a look at the Game Kings and Noslers and see what it likes. I know all bullets can kill with correct placement but I'm looking for something that will create a good wound channel so if I do my part and still have to track them it's not hard to follow if they don't go down right away. No one likes to track in south Texas! It's painful! Thanks for the advice!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.