Looking for a good wolf hunt

Find a place with high densities of wolves. Put on as many miles as necessary to locate some wolves by sight, sound, or tracks and plan on spending 15-20 days in the field per wolf encounter. Plan on screwing up at least 3 encounters. Once you find wolves, consistantly hunt that bunch of wolves. An outfitter may be of some use to familiarize with new country, but you will probably go broke before you kill a wolf with an outfitter. Some say it is all luck, but I figure that the more time spent in the field increases your odds at getting lucky!
Happy hunting!

I don't know the cost of the hunt but I know that guided hunts in northern/central Alberta have high success rates. All sitting over bait.

I don't know the cost of the hunt but I know that guided hunts in northern/central Alberta have high success rates. All sitting over bait.

A Canadian hunt where bait sets are legal offer the best opportunity for a rifle shot. Angus, would you happen to know if Alberta limits shooting hours? I know BC folks that lose a few minutes morning and evening waiting on the clock.

You can look on Bowsite.com and search Babine outfitters in I think Alberta, they run a thread all winter of clients coming up trapping and shooting wolves all winter. Looks like it would be a blast to spend a week with them. They will send you a free DVD of what they do.

David

Find a place with high densities of wolves. Put on as many miles as necessary to locate some wolves by sight, sound, or tracks and plan on spending 15-20 days in the field per wolf encounter. Plan on screwing up at least 3 encounters. Once you find wolves, consistantly hunt that bunch of wolves. An outfitter may be of some use to familiarize with new country, but you will probably go broke before you kill a wolf with an outfitter. Some say it is all luck, but I figure that the more time spent in the field increases your odds at getting lucky!
Happy hunting!

I should make clear that my statement above is for hunting in the lower 48

You can look on Bowsite.com and search Babine outfitters in I think Alberta, they run a thread all winter of clients coming up trapping and shooting wolves all winter. Looks like it would be a blast to spend a week with them. They will send you a free DVD of what they do.

David

They're in Smithers, BC. Otherwise correct. The Hooper family provides first class service from beginning to end. They have been killing 30 plus wolves for several years. Some rifle shots. They started years back to help out the moose hunts, and its turned into another 3 months clients. Booked a couple of years out currently.

Happy hunting!
It's some luck, my doc friend never shot one till last year and sees them almost every time he's at his place in Montana, last year I told him get some bait, so he got an elk carcass from a resident 5 miles down the road that watches his place for him, and the second day out shot that big male 100 yards from his cabin.

Recent Posts