Looking for a custom rifle maker - high quality

When in the late '90s I had HS Precision build me a .300 Win mag on a stainless steel Remington long action I sent them I told them I wanted the chamber made "to the absolute minimum SAAMI specs". They since use that phrase in their ads.

What I wanted was the tightest chamber they could legally give me for better centering of the bullet and less wear on the brass due to more expansion in a larger chamber.
So now, especially with the newer Hornady and Winchester cartridges, a snug chamber is desired for best accuracy.

For all of you with experience in having custom long range hunting rifles built, who in this country is at the top of their game? High quality, meticulous in detail AND will use a brand new reamer?

I am looking at two new long range hunting rifles: a 300 WM and a 300 PRC.
Composite stock. Bolt action. Tack driver.
NOT looking for a heavy bench rest Gun not an MSR.

I'd consider another Cooper but their wait is wait too long. I need these by next hunting season Oct 2022).
I have looked too at Fierce.
I have looked too at Seekins.

REALLY sour on Browning… quality has died and they are resting on their laurels and their name. John Browning would remove his name from that organization! (This coming from a former member of the Browning Collectors Association and owner of over 20 Browning rifles).

I have talked to several people that have gone the custom route and they all insist that a key piece is using a brand new reamer.

I am not looking for some guy that can throw together a rifle in his garage but someone that prides themselves on their quality and their reputation.

Recommendations???
For all of you with experience in having custom long range hunting rifles built, who in this country is at the top of their game? High quality, meticulous in detail AND will use a brand new reamer?

I'd consider another Cooper but their wait is wait too long. I need these by next hunting season Oct 2022).

REALLY sour on Browning… quality has died and they are resting on their laurels and their name. John Browning would remove his name from that organization! (This coming from a former member of the Browning Collectors Association and owner of over 20 Browning rifles).

I have talked to several people that have gone the custom route and they all insist that a key piece is using a brand new reamer.

I am not looking for some guy that can throw together a rifle in his garage but someone that prides themselves on their quality and their reputation.

Recommendations???
I have ordered a 300PRC from HS Precision talk to Josh and tell him I sent you. I ordered mine in August of 2021 & will be ready March of 2022. I hit a target at a mile with my 1st shot from their used show gun. That sold me. Randy Fite in Houston is as meticulous as they come. A great rifle builder as they come. Built at least 4 rifles for me.

One thing that I can put into this thread is that when you want a "Custom build" do a lot of RESEARCH - REASERCH - RESEARCH!!!!
1) Know exactly what caliber you want, what you are using it for and what bullets/loads you want.
2) MAKE SURE that it is want you want to used for your specific hunt. It will be a lot of money and time only to find out you want to change in the middle of the build because someone or something new comes out from a manufacture.
3) What components you want and manufacture. Stock/Action/Trigger/Brake/Barrel/twist rate, length
4) how much do you want it to weigh
5) What optics and mounting system(s)
6) Another good point is if you can purchase all the components in advance THAT YOU WANT and send to you gunsmith. That way all your gunsmith has to do is chamber the barrel and maybe milling for the stock and assemble. This could save you a lot of time, your gunsmith doesn't have to look all over and wait for inventory of the components you want and you get what you wanted because you bought it.
7) You should also look for ammo in advance if you don't reload.
8) If you do reload get your dies, bullets, brass, primers, powder before or while your firearm is being built. Nothing worse than waiting for a rifle for months and then you can't find any reloading components.
The most IMPORTANT thing is once you find a gunsmith have a written agreement on what work is going to be preformed regarding components installed, processes used(reaming) SAMMI -Custom -get specs, agreed prices and an estimated time frame to finish. Do NOT hold the gunsmith responsible for late time frames when they are getting components from other manufactures.
9) Asking for special requests will cost you special prices. If you saw what the gunsmith has in expenses for equipment/machinery/tooling and then to purchase a custom reamer for a wildcat or wanting to use a "New Reamer" on your barrel-you would agree with what you might say high prices.
LAST I am sure that if you follow the above mentioned items that you will come out with your DREAM firearm!

One thing that I can put into this thread is that when you want a "Custom build" do a lot of RESEARCH - REASERCH - RESEARCH!!!!
1) Know exactly what caliber you want, what you are using it for and what bullets/loads you want.
2) MAKE SURE that it is want you want to used for your specific hunt. It will be a lot of money and time only to find out you want to change in the middle of the build because someone or something new comes out from a manufacture.
3) What components you want and manufacture. Stock/Action/Trigger/Brake/Barrel/twist rate, length
4) how much do you want it to weigh
5) What optics and mounting system(s)
6) Another good point is if you can purchase all the components in advance THAT YOU WANT and send to you gunsmith. That way all your gunsmith has to do is chamber the barrel and maybe milling for the stock and assemble. This could save you a lot of time, your gunsmith doesn't have to look all over and wait for inventory of the components you want and you get what you wanted because you bought it.
7) You should also look for ammo in advance if you don't reload.
8) If you do reload get your dies, bullets, brass, primers, powder before or while your firearm is being built. Nothing worse than waiting for a rifle for months and then you can't find any reloading components.
The most IMPORTANT thing is once you find a gunsmith have a written agreement on what work is going to be preformed regarding components installed, processes used(reaming) SAMMI -Custom -get specs, agreed prices and an estimated time frame to finish. Do NOT hold the gunsmith responsible for late time frames when they are getting components from other manufactures.
9) Asking for special requests will cost you special prices. If you saw what the gunsmith has in expenses for equipment/machinery/tooling and then to purchase a custom reamer for a wildcat or wanting to use a "New Reamer" on your barrel-you would agree with what you might say high prices.
LAST I am sure that if you follow the above mentioned items that you will come out with your DREAM firearm!
Exactly what I am doing! The only part left to buy is the barrel!

H-S Precision Rapid City South Dakota. Ordered a 300 PRC in December of '20 and had it by Apr of this year. The certification target was a .22 3-shot group. You will not be disappointed. PM if you want details.

Ryan Pierce (Piercision Rifles) just built me a 300 PRC that arrived a few weeks ago. He had a variety of components in stock so from order to delivery it was about 5 months based on what I wanted.
Dallas Lane (Lane Precision Rifles) built me one about 8 years ago. I'm trying to shoot the last of the barrel out so i can get it back to him for something new

Both rifles are silly accurate and both guys were great to work with.
If I built another rifle I'd have a hard time choosing between the two of them.
I talked to a few other builders, really liked their work and discussion, but feel blessed i picked two that I am personally happy with.
Ryan is a top notch guy! Can't go wrong...

Recommendations???
Jon Beanland. As long as Jon is building rifles, he will build MY Rifles.

John

Recommendations???
West texas Ordnance. Great people.