Looking for a custom rifle maker - high quality

Drjones65

For all of you with experience in having custom long range hunting rifles built, who in this country is at the top of their game? High quality, meticulous in detail AND will use a brand new reamer?

I am looking at two new long range hunting rifles: a 300 WM and a 300 PRC.
Composite stock. Bolt action. Tack driver.
NOT looking for a heavy bench rest Gun not an MSR.

I'd consider another Cooper but their wait is wait too long. I need these by next hunting season Oct 2022).
I have looked too at Fierce.
I have looked too at Seekins.

REALLY sour on Browning… quality has died and they are resting on their laurels and their name. John Browning would remove his name from that organization! (This coming from a former member of the Browning Collectors Association and owner of over 20 Browning rifles).

I have talked to several people that have gone the custom route and they all insist that a key piece is using a brand new reamer.

I am not looking for some guy that can throw together a rifle in his garage but someone that prides themselves on their quality and their reputation.

Recommendations???

Justin at Kinport Peak Rifles can do what you want and he's only 2 hours away. Any smith can use a new reamer for your build but you're going to pay for it. Justin's work is top quality and communication was never an issue throughout my build. I've also had Travis at TS Customs build a rifle for me and he is very meticulous.

Give Darin Blagg a call of Blagg Rifles in Pendleton Oregon. He has done up two for me and there have been no disappointments in quality, precision, wait time or cost.

I have no idea who's feeding you the "brand new reamer" crap, but that's what it is,,, crap! Just more interdnet mis-information.. I've been 'driving' chambering reamers for 30+ yrs, the tool is either sharp, or it's not! It depends upon how the tool has been 'driven' much more than whether it's cut 5-10 chambers or more. Using a muzzle flush, many perfect chambers can be cut, provided the 'driver' has a clue. With a reamer that's cut a chamber or 2 (or more) the physical specs are positively known (like free bore and dia., throat, neck dia., body characteristics, etc). In other words, the tool has been physically proven. Over the years the use of a 'new' reamer to do a job has been the request of a potential client. I find a reason not to except their work. I am the only person who has used my reamers, I know when they need to be sharpened and when they don't. Any experienced gunsmith/machinist would know when his tools are dull and when they're not! Only the new-be/inexperienced will try to push it 'one more time'.

Last edited:
TS Customs built my last custom rifle. I called a few and only he stood out of the bunch. Many didn't return calls or emails. Or, those that did answer just didn't seem interested in my money.

^-- That's a link to their site

^--pretty active on Facebook (them, not me)

Defensive Edge will likely be on the short list for my next rifle, if I build another custom. The 300 or 338 Terminator is on the short list of options for a custom.

Lane Precision is also in a top spot with the 338 Reaper.

Last edited:
For all of you with experience in having custom long range hunting rifles built, who in this country is at the top of their game? High quality, meticulous in detail AND will use a brand new reamer?

I am looking at two new long range hunting rifles: a 300 WM and a 300 PRC.
Composite stock. Bolt action. Tack driver.
NOT looking for a heavy bench rest Gun not an MSR.

I'd consider another Cooper but their wait is wait too long. I need these by next hunting season Oct 2022).
I have looked too at Fierce.
I have looked too at Seekins.

REALLY sour on Browning… quality has died and they are resting on their laurels and their name. John Browning would remove his name from that organization! (This coming from a former member of the Browning Collectors Association and owner of over 20 Browning rifles).

I have talked to several people that have gone the custom route and they all insist that a key piece is using a brand new reamer.

I am not looking for some guy that can throw together a rifle in his garage but someone that prides themselves on their quality and their reputation.

Recommendations???
For off-the-shelf the 2 you looked ay (Fierce and Seekins) are making great builds, plus I think they both will do custom changes. The Proof Elevation is in the same price range as a custom Seekins or the higher end Fierce rifles, it comes in a 300 Win, and is super light weight.

- Price example of the Proof

Craigs in Tucson has built 9 rifles for my father and I (5 were long range hunting rigs) that all shoot Sub 1/2 MOA. The pict I included is my Wife on the sticks in Africa with my Craigs 6.5 PRC about to drop the hammer on a Kafue Lechwe that was only about 150 yards away. These are total customs so they can run $2.5K to $5K usually, depending on the action, barrel, stock etc.

3 - 7mm LRMs
2 - 6.5 PRCs
2 - 300 WSMs
1 - 22 BR - target
1 - 22-250 - Prairie dogs coyotes etc.

There are tons of great builders around the country, I just know Kyle really well and what kind of work he produces.

3 Year History on my 6.5 PRC
4 Coues Bucks, 340yards to 743yards
18 head of African Antelope 80 yards to 500 yards including a giant Southern Eland at 500 yards.

Check out the info on the page below and listen to the podcast before deciding on your cartridge. There is relevant data there that may be eye opening. These fellas know about and shoot more long range than just about any other company around. There other good podcast they have that break paradigms based on the 1000s of heads of game they have shot at long range over the last 11 or so years.

Attachments

• Shot_Lechwe_Shot_00061_Moment.jpg
    Shot_Lechwe_Shot_00061_Moment.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 195
If you are looking for Oct 2022 many custom makers might be tight on that timeline. One other company to look at it Snowy Mountain Rifles. I don't have a rifle built by them but they did a rebarrel of another custom and did load development and it is a tack-driving 30N.

I have an LPR on order but don't have it yet so I can't comment first hand on Dallas' work but I can say I chose him as a builder and glad I did, and am also looking forward to seeing what she can do when I get her.

Last edited:

Recent Posts